Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd February 2020, 08:07 PM   #1
David
Keris forum moderator

Default Sumatran Sewar?

So this is a little outside my usual sphere of collecting, but i was in my favorite antique shop in Halifax, NS and the owner was just unpacking some new items he picked up at a recent estate sale. I once found a worn, but interesting anak alang keris there for a good price and we were chatting about that and he remembered this dagger and pulled it out to show me.
Well. i though this thing was just so damned cute and the price seemed rather good to me (though again, out of my collecting sphere so i can't be certain, but i think i got a great deal on it) that i just had to bring it home.
My understanding is that this is a sewar, but that that these blades are also referred to as Sewah by the Gayo people, Seiva by the Minangkabau people, Siva by the Alas people, and Siwaih by the Acehnese people.
I have know idea which region or people this particular one comes from so perhaps someone out there who knows more about these can help me out nailing down the identification and possible age.
The sheath seems to be horn and the fittings are sliver. The blade length is about 22cm (about 8.6 inches), about 28cm (11 inches) including the hilt.
The blade is pattern welded and seems fairly old. A stain would raise the pattern, but i am not certain that these blades were traditional treated with warangan or not so perhaps someone could advise me about that. Thanks!
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2020, 09:28 PM   #2
Sajen

Hello David,
Yes, it's a sewar and a very nice one! Can't help with the exact origin. I think that the blades were stained originally but possible not so strong as a keris blade. I would polish the blade a little bit before staining.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2020, 09:32 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Thanks Detlef. I knew you had a nice collection of these that i have seen before and was hoping you would respond.
Yes, i cleaned up the blade a little with a fine steel wool, but can see how polishing it up more before staining would be a good idea. Do you know if these were traditionally stained with warangan or some other substance?
Any idea on the age?
Old 22nd February 2020, 09:50 PM   #4
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Thanks Detlef. I knew you had a nice collection of these that i have seen before and was hoping you would respond.
Yes, i cleaned up the blade a little with a fine steel wool, but can see how polishing it up more before staining would be a good idea. Do you know if these were traditionally stained with warangan or some other substance?
Any idea on the age?
Thank you for the compliment David! Really no clue if they were traditionally stained but I guess they were. I would try it with warangan but don't would give it the typical strong "black/white" finish like a keris blade so my suggestion to polish the blade, it will be more easy to repolish the blade when the contrast would be to strong.
But frankly said I never have tried to etch one of my blades!
Age I would guess around 1900.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2020, 12:40 AM   #5
kai

Hello David,

Yes, an interesting Sewar/whatever!

The laminated blade looks old and I'd have no qualms to believe it to be sometime from the 19th c.

As usual, the crosspiece/mouthpiece of the scabbard is from horn and well-carved in fine detail. Either this got removed from SE Asia rather early or it might be somewhat later IMHO. The scabbard stem will be wood; if any of the silver covers could be slided off, some more info might be gained.

The silverwork on the scabbard may be medium craftsmanship, the quality of the hilt less so IMHO. Since the latter's motifs are not en suite, I'd guess that it got restored/replaced later, possibly after WW2.

I don't see any stylistic hints for this piece to come from any of the highland groups. This most likely is a Malay piece and originates from the Sumatran East coast or the western Malay peninsula.

Historically, there probably never was any clear-cut preference for staining these blades with warangan. There are colonial accounts that staining with warangan was known and practised in Aceh (sometimes, not universally). This is also seen in some examples that appear to remain in old, original stain; OTOH, many blades in museum collections exhibit low-contrast stain compatible with fruit acids or vinegar (or no remaining visible stain at all).

Most laminated blades from this region are forged from low-contrast steel (which still can look very nice if stained) while some are obviously intended to exhibit pattern-welding with stronger contrast. Thus, it wouldn't hurt to give it a try IMVHO.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2020, 01:20 AM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

Thanks Kai.
The bottom silver sleeve slides off quite easily. The wooden stem is terminated neatly and with some craft. What more information can it tell?