Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 5th April 2012, 01:27 PM   #1
weapons 27

Default persian sword revival period ???

HI

can you deliver your opinion to me on this sword, it is 87 cm long. what worry is thickness of the blade 1,8mm, and it is flexible…

there is a marking at the end of the blade of each with dimensions

thank
Attached Images

weapons 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2012, 05:00 PM   #2
David R

The hilt looks Indian to me, like on a tulwar. That style of hilt does turn up with a variety blades though, curved, straight and even yataghan. I have seen them with imported European blades as well.
So My guess is Indian in origin, and the blade...for dancing, ceremonial, religious procession , the etching makes me think non functional as a weapon though.

Last edited by David R; 6th April 2012 at 05:01 PM. Reason: rephrasing.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2012, 05:13 PM   #3
ALEX

The hilt is Indian. The blade is Persian, 19th C 'Qajar revival' ceremonial blade.
But not a proper match for proper Indo-Persian sword, they do not belong to each other. You may even notice the base of the blade was narrowed to fit the handle.
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2012, 05:53 PM   #4
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams all~ Late Qajari ( as late as 1920) Ceremonial blade on previously identified Indian Hilt. Interesting scroll or fabulous garden / tree of life decoration.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2012, 07:30 PM   #5
weapons 27

here three sword persian revival period of my collection
Attached Images

weapons 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 10:00 AM   #6
Multumesc

Beautiful collection.
Multumesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 02:46 PM   #7
ariel

The so-called " Revival swords" are, IMHO, not real weapons, but rather ceremonial wall-hangers. They were made at the era when even Iranian military was feverishly rearranging itself to resemble the Western pattern. Imported blades and even locally-made blades of European construction were mounted on purely European-type handles. The Revival blades are by and large far too thin for real use, and the emergence of firearms was rapidly making even the quality blades obsolete. The profusion of cheap acid-etched decorations reminds one of similar Sudanese Kaskaras and I would not be surprised if the Iranians actually manufactured those as well, as a mass export to the less technologically-advanced natives.

And, of course, the backyard souvenir industry,- kula-khud, shield and one bazuband,- for the European visitors must have manufactured swords as well. Something to hang in the pub or on the wall of the drawing room. There were, of course, higher quality items, but even now one can buy a junky "Versace" and a good quality "Versace", both made in Hong Kong.

I have some Persian swords, but would not touch any "Revival" ones.

This one, as was already mentioned, is attached to a totally-unsuitable handle. IMHO, this is a "mix-and-match" creation of a relatively recent arrangement of available cheap spare parts.

Sorry for being harsh, but an honest question deserves an equally honest answer.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote