Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th August 2010, 05:06 AM   #1
ThePepperSkull

Default WWII Bringback bolo w/ possible makers mark for comment and info

A friend of mine has shown me his father's bolo, which he picked up in WWII.

He tells me that all he knows about it is that it was picked up "either in Leyte or around Lingayen Gulf", his father states (although his memory is going so he is not sure where). He states that the guard on this piece was straight originally, and it got its curve once in his ownership.

I thought I'd share and ask a few questions:

1) What is the origin on this blade? My kneejerk reaction tells me it's a luzon piece, but as stated, it may have been picked up in Leyte. Any indication that this is a visayan-made blade in the style more popularly associated with Luzon? It is single-beveled for right hand use, which I know is common for visayan blades.

2) There is a mark near the base of the blade. It appears to be a "PM". Is it a maker's mark? I have included other pieces I have seen ended on ebay with similar forms and the same "PM" mark.

3) If the "PM" is a maker's mark, does anyone know more about the panday who made this piece?

Here are the pics of my friend's father's bolo:

note the PM at the base of the blade.

here is the other side:

Here are some similar pieces I have seen online:

any light shed on this ould be very much appreciated!
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 07:08 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

Far as I know these are Luzon made. They were specifically made as souvenirs for GIs going back home to the US. The tang goes through the horn hilt.

The "PM" - this has come up before and I really don't know..
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 06:32 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

I BELEAVE THIS FORM WAS IN USE WELL BEFORE WW2 AND IS STILL MADE IN LUZON. THE ONES WITH PHILIPPINES, TREES AND GRASS SHACKS ON THEM AND OFTEN A DATE AND LOCATION WERE MODIFIED TO APPEAL TO THE SERVICE MEN AS SOUVINEERS. THE ONES I HAVE SEEN ARE FUNCTIONAL JUNGLE KNIVES/ FIGHTING KNIVES NOT JUST POORLY MADE SOUVINEERS.
AT ANY RATE THEY WERE BROUGHT BACK BY MEN WHO FOUGHT IN A TERRIBLE WAR FOR THEIR COUNTRY AND MANY OTHER COUNTRYS IN WW2 SO ARE OF HISTORICAL AND FAMILY VALUE.
AS TO THE PM ON THE BLADE I WILL HAZZARD A GUESS. AS OUR BLADES AND MANY OTHERS HAD MADE IN THE USA OR USA PERHAPS THEY PUT PM (PHILIPPINE MADE)
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2010, 09:25 PM   #4
ThePepperSkull

so my first intinct was correct? It is indeed a luzon piece? Fantastic. I wonder how it ended up in Leyte. I'm assuming these blades got around, didn't they?
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2010, 01:46 AM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

At that time, yes they got around a lot........
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote