Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th July 2008, 09:04 PM   #31
TVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagawarrior
Just picked up this Miquelet. Using Firearms of the Islamic world, by Elgood as a reference, I believe this to be a boyliya rifle from Bosnia/Herzegovina. My guesstamate of age would be 19th century. Most of silver facing on the lock is gone. I took a photo of a nice piece of silver, still left on the top of the barrel. I hope Ward will chime in here with his opinion.

[IMG]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/Nagawarrior/Miquelet/miquelet005.jpg[/IMG]
Very nice Stephen, you have made me really really envious now. I agree it is Balkan, but I do not think it is Bosnian, but to me it is more likely to be from the Eastern Balkans. Have you attempted etching the barrel? I am 99% sure it is damascus.
Regards,
Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 09:58 PM   #32
ward

I have seen this rifle in person at one of the shows.I do not remember what year. The barrell showed no pattern as I recall and there was a lot of recent restoration. the shell circles are new replacements. There should be the little brass and seal wax radiation signs instead. If I recall correctly there was some wod putty work on this also. It is not a bad piece just needs a lot of work
ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 10:22 PM   #33
Nagawarrior

I picked it up over the internet. Probably a mistake. I was hoping I was getting some great deal. You really have to handle pieces to get an idea. My bad. I got the book on firearms and saw mother of pearl used in this area. Thought it could be correct. Most of the mother of pearl have the little brass and wax piece in the center. I also took the dealers word that nothing was missing. Not sure what you mean by work? Is there someone that restores these, and does it add value? Thank you very much Ward.
Nagawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 10:32 PM   #34
Atlantia

Lovely gun NW.
I've always wanted one of those!
I've had flintlocks, matchlocks, PCs and even a wheel-lock european pistol, but never a miquelet.
Whats the muzzle like?
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2008, 10:50 PM   #35
Nagawarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
Lovely gun NW.
I've always wanted one of those!
I've had flintlocks, matchlocks, PCs and even a wheel-lock european pistol, but never a miquelet.
Whats the muzzle like?
The muzzle is plain. No flareing or anything. Just a little brass sight piece.
Nagawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 01:35 PM   #36
Cerjak

Default Sardinian miquelet Gun

Hello from France

seems I have the same sardinian miquelet gun than your's .It will be nice if you could more pics from yours.
Do you have the ramod ?
Do you know how old are those sardinain gun
Best regards

Cerjak
Attached Images

Cerjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 05:37 PM   #37
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
yes the end of yours should be hollow and when the match needs to be extinquished is put into the end of it. The omani is a lot more unusual and you should restore it you will not find many of them in todays market.that piece should be under the coiled match.
Salaams Ward, Nice collection.
The Omani weapon is known in Oman as "father of the match." Abu Futtila. The other term is Roumi meaning "long leaf" or "spear." Often wolf skin was wrapped around the cannon section where you rest your cheek on firing . Woolf skin was used to protect the wearer from evil spirits and or as strong talismanic majic. They are very rare now especially with the brass fire spoon and with original brass charge holders and belts. There are 3 types of gunpowder flask in either Gazelle horn, wood or Omani silver( Talahiiq). The Omanis made their own ammo and gunpowder .. The later from an odd looking plant called Sodoms apple which is a poisonous green leafed prolific monster with purple flowers growing wild here and mixed with locally mined sulphur etc. People clearly experimented with modern powders in the 20th C as I have several cannon ends only since modern gunpowder blows the first barrel weld and must have been hugely dangerous.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 14th January 2012 at 07:28 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 05:56 PM   #38
A.alnakkas

I got nothing to add here except for the correct meaning of "Abu Fatilla"

In a literal translation, Abu Fatilla indeed would mean "father of the match" but "abu" is used here to denote "the one with the match"
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 07:35 PM   #39
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
I got nothing to add here except for the correct meaning of "Abu Fatilla"

In a literal translation, Abu Fatilla indeed would mean "father of the match" but "abu" is used here to denote "the one with the match"
Salaams Lofty ... You know I was always told it was "father of" and even in the historical association and museum .... but it makes total and correct sense in "the one with" ... Shukran ! Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 08:23 PM   #40
A.alnakkas

Salam,

Abu does indeed mean "father of" but in particular contexts it can change to "one with" this linguistic feature exists in both classical fus'ha and various arabic accents. But more obvious in the accents ofcourse.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote