Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd February 2014, 02:49 PM   #1
CutlassCollector

Default French Boarding Axe - A Lewis

I posted this on the other forum, because there is a greater emphasis on the US but without much success so I thought it worth running past our learned American brothers here before I give up on it completely.

I have an 1801 model French boarding axe with the name A. LEWIS stamped into the wood of the shaft alongside an anchor. I believe this axe to be one of the several hundred French axes used by the Federal Navy.
Can anyone identify A. Lewis or his initials as an American government inspector (probably unlikely) or a supplier or importer of arms, or a retailer selling ex-military arms in the 19th century?

What makes it more interesting is the same name appears on an early British style boarding axe currently in the collection of another US collector who agrees that the stamp is identical - see photos.
Because the name is stamped in both cases and not carved we think that rules out naming the weapon to a person.
Regards CC.
Attached Images

CutlassCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2014, 01:05 AM   #2
M ELEY

Wow! Two great boarding pieces, indeed! I unfortuantely can't say that I'm familiar with the lewis stamping, however, it appears to be legit and dating to the time of the piece. As it is not stamped into the iron, but the haft is intriguing? Were the heads shipped over and refitted here? Was this Lewis fellow an importer? Gov'nt inspector? Are we to assume these are government pieces or privateer pieces? I know this is your question as well, just thinking aloud.

A few points-I am aware that the early U.S. Navy did experiment with sword patterns, especially for their newly reformed Marine Corps, post 1790. It has been suggested from multiple sources that one of the 'prime suspect' swords carried might have been the Dutch marinesabal. The fact of the matter is, we just don't know what was carried in the early periods of the United States. Certainly, the Type I-III boarding axes were used, but prior to 1780, there are many questions as to what types were carried. Both Neumann and Gilkerson beliece early tomahawk spike axes, but that doesn't narrow down patterns.

The second axe pictured, although strongly resembling a Brit boarding piece, is an early Amer knock-off of the Brit, in my opinion. The curvature of the head and spike, as well as the overall profile, says to me that it's a contemporary copy. Neumann's 'Swords & Blades of the Amer Revolution' shows similar axes. Likewise, Hartzler's tomahawk book shows similar examples.

Soooo...where does that leave us? Until and unless we can positively prove that Lewis was a gov'mt inspector, we are left in limbo. As just the hafts are marked, we can't even be sure that the ax came with the haft. I'm not suggesting they didn't, as they seem to be the original, but I'm just saying.
As the French ax is later and the American Navy had already established their own types, IF we are to assume its American, that I lean towards merchant/privateer piece. For that matter, even the second ax, which might be early gov'mt issue, could well be a privateer piece pre-1780.

This also opens even more questions. For instance, is there a chance this Lewis was a French inspector? The ax is, after all, the m1801. If so, could the second ax, so closely resembling the Brit pattern, also be a French privateer boarding piece? I've seen both countries copying each other's patterns in boarding pikes, dirks, swords, etc. Why not axes?

Hopefully, with research, you might be able to track down this A. Lewis fellow. I would consider contacting the Smithsonian, the Maritime Museum in Greenwich, etc. You might get a lead?
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2014, 04:53 PM   #3
CutlassCollector

Hi Mark, always good to get your observations.
The owner of the Brit style axe agrees with your assessment as he dates it "mid to late 18th century and may have been of colonial manufacture". It's a good puzzle though especially if we consider that there may be as much as several decades between the axes, which is why I thought the name may be known if he had been around for awhile.
Of course he could be just a guy re-hafting axes although neither of us think the axes have replaced wood but nothing is certain. I certainly had not considered he may have been French and that also is a possibility. Perhaps his name will turn up again!
I have had good dealings with the NMM in Greenwich in the past - they are always very helpful. I can't say the same about the Marine Museum in Paris unfortunately, although it's probably my French to blame!
Regards CC.
CutlassCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2014, 07:32 AM   #4
M ELEY

Please keep us informed if you find anything out,CC. I agree that it doesn't appear that either piece has had the hilt replaced. Likewise, I don't think a collector would arbitrarily stamp an item in their collection, as it might affect the value. No curator in his/her right mind would do so. Leaving the question open as to whether these are government and/or private purchase pieces. You are both lucky gents to own them, though. I'd love to have them for my collection. Say, maybe you should send them my way so I can do some of my own...research!

BTW, thanks for posting these. It's good to see a naval item or two now and again.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote