Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 13th December 2008, 03:52 AM   #1
BluErf

Default A Cirebon (put-together) keris

We often see Cirebon hilts floating around, not attached to Cirebon kerises. Also never really saw any good Cirebon kerises in private collections (ok, maybe Mr Karsten Jensen has a couple of really good ones). At least until recently when a fellow forumnite posted some pictures of a couple of superb Cirebon keris sheaths. But the question again - where are the Cirebon kerises!

Having half given-up hope on getting a decent Cirebon keris, this one came along. Ok, the blade is not original to the sheath, but at least it was patched nicely. Blade is bearable, but comes with a very nice scent. Someone has been treating the blade very nicely before selling it. It came with a nice Yogya hilt, which I have since transposed onto a Yogya keris. And on it, I've placed a hilt I got from another fellow forumnite. I tried a few wooden ones, but those were black, and black-hilt-on-black-sheath just doesn't cut it. So on goes this slightly eclectic hilt. So there it is - my Cirebon (put-together) keris, and I think its quite decent (at least from my extremely limited understanding of Cirebon kerises)
Attached Images

Last edited by BluErf; 13th December 2008 at 04:21 AM.
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 08:15 AM   #2
VVV

The hilt doesn't look Cirebon to me
Isn't it from the NE coast?

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 10:23 AM   #3
Marcokeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVV
The hilt doesn't look Cirebon to me
Isn't it from the NE coast?

Michael
it's also my opinion
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 01:34 PM   #4
BluErf

Ya, I suppose the hilt is more Tegal than Cirebon. But I guess Tegal, being 100km away from Cirebon only, could be pretty "close cousins".

Maybe until I get an ivory or bone Cirebon hilt, I guess I'd be keeping the hilt on the keris 1st. At any rate, beats being matched with the Yogya hilt, I think!
Old 13th December 2008, 03:20 PM   #5
Marcokeris

BluErf
Your nice ivory hit could be from Tegal (of course Cirebon style)... but there is something in the form (Nyamba ???) that tell me it could also comes from the area that runs from Madura till to the Jawa's cost in front of Balì.
To explain better i put here a photo of a hit that, i suppose, comes from this area.
About the blade IMO it could be done in Madura
Attached Images

Last edited by Marcokeris; 13th December 2008 at 03:42 PM.
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2008, 12:54 AM   #6
BluErf

Hey Marcos,

That's a mighty interesting hilt you have!

Pg63 of Kerner's big book has a set of 4 pics of hilts attributed to the Nyamba style. Kerner wrote (ok, we have take with a pinch of salt) that Nyamba hilts were known only as metal hilts, and those 4 examples had almost a comical look. Yours had the same features, but a more dignified look, and not covered in motifs.

Though one question - is Nyamba a city or region name? Was trying to google to find out, but they led to keris auction descriptions and not much else.

Perhaps Tunggulametung could help throw some light on where my hilt was acquired?

And the blade - oh yes, definitely there's a chance it came from Madura. But at any rate, it's bearable. The few older Cirebon sheaths I've seen almost always was made for blades with big robust ganja. So that's something to be said about the current small petite little blade in it.
Old 14th December 2008, 01:58 AM   #7
A. G. Maisey

Try googling nyamba + wayang---that'll give you answers.

Blade is dhapur kebo kanthong, its Javanese.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2008, 03:02 AM   #8
BluErf

Thanks Alan. Another question - could this dhapur be attributed to a more specific region of Java, or can this reasonably be found in many parts of Java?