Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th December 2006, 12:27 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default Help With Unique Moro Kriss Pommel...please!

Here is a very unique Moro kriss hoof shaped pommel done in lovely ivory.

The core is hollow, and appears to have had some kind or wood or organic material plug.

Can anyone tell me what material this plug may have been from, if indeed there was one(as pics seem to indicate).

Many thanks for any input.
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2006, 01:26 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Curious ...

Hi Charles:

I can't be sure, but I think this ivory piece may not have been the full terminus of the hilt, but something further, like an elaborate kakatua, may have been fitted on the end. The cut out in the ivory simply being a place to insert a peg for the additional piece. That said, I have not seen such a large and angular hole for such an attachment.

I think Battara might be able to help you more than I can.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2006, 01:33 PM   #3
zelbone

That stuff inside could be the remnants of some type of glue or pitch. I was about to post what Ian had said...but he beat me to it .

If not a kakatua...but maybe a larger more ornate horsehoof...possibly of horn or even silver.
zelbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2006, 02:50 PM   #4
CharlesS

The wear and coloring around the top of the pommel seems consistent with the sides, so I am not so sure anything was fitted into the hole that would have fitted on to the top edges(covering them). Had this been the case there would have been a different coloration I think.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2006, 05:58 PM   #5
RSWORD

If you look in Cato's "Moro Swords" there are two examples of Sulu horse hoof pommel swords pictured. I do not recall the exact page number but in the pictures you see similar hilt styles as far as an angular hilt of octagonal shape with no further additions on top. All of the jungayyan hilts I have seen were attached to tubular sections of handle, not an octagonal section.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2006, 07:30 AM   #6
Philip

Default curioser and curioser

Ian's comment led me to look at the engraved motifs that appear on four of the 8 sides of this pommel. Interesting that only one panel (left hand "long" side) has the design executed in a way that the elements form a complete unit that accurately fills the space allotted for it. The right hand "long" side panel's motifs mimic the left, but are done in a larger, more deeply-cut format that "drops off" the ends. The designs on two panels on the "short" side likewise do not fit completely in the space (see image above) and also run off the ends.

Charles is right in that the patina on the end of the pommel matches the sides, but the surfaces on the end do bear some tool marks, whereas the sides are quite smooth. The ivory looks like it's been this way for a very long time, the end has not been recently touched. The length of the grip (quite comfortable for a larger European hand) along with the sizeable pommel make this a very nice-handling short sword.

I don't know enough about Moro aesthetics to be able to judge whether the irregularities of the design in the four panels are "par for the course" or indicate something else... Am just putting forth these observations since I have the sword in front of me and thought it might elicit more ideas from the real experts.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2006, 06:01 PM   #7
Emanuel

Hello,

On my screen, the carved panels are also "whiter" than the empty ones, they show less patina, less yellowing. Could this indicate that they were covered at some point? Would it be probable that a separate pommel was fitted into the space and that its outside parts covered the carved panels...perhaps a chiselled/relief silver piece? (this brings to mind the payakun sword on Dajak's avatar with the inserted carved piece in the pommel)

Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote