Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 31st August 2019, 10:26 PM   #1
rockelk

Default Two Dha’s opinions as to the origins

Attached are some photos of two Dha’s. The first is a sword where the 24” blade seems to be of good steel, tempered, strong and flexible. At one point I was thinking that it came from the northern regions (i.e. Khmer). Then I read that those with a guard were from the south, i.e. Thailand. Some of the distinctive features are the point on the distal end of the sheath, the wavy engravings along the spine and the oval guard. It doesn’t feel like a tourist piece.
The second is a Dha knife / dagger. Rather elaborate11” blade, engraved, a silver sheath. I’m curious as to the members opinions of,” is this a tourist piece, ceremonial, etc.”
Attached Images

rockelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2019, 10:37 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

The larger one is northern Thai in manufacture and probably second half of 20th C. These were common bring back items by U.S. soldiers during the Vietnam war. There is an old "Classics" thread that discussed these Contemporary Thai Swords. The blades on these are usually poor quality and not meant for use. The incised "S" shapes are purely decorative and have no traditional meaning. The stamped mark on the aluminum guard is quite common on these swords.

The smaller one is Burmese, also 20th C, sometimes referred to as a "story dha" or "temple dha" by westerners. These are low quality swords also and purely decorative. This one may be pre-WWII. The hilt and sheath are usually done in brass with repousse work. Both yellow and white brass were used.

Ian.

Last edited by Ian; 1st September 2019 at 01:29 PM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2019, 04:08 PM   #3
Sajen

Agree complete!
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2019, 07:34 PM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

Same here. The metal does have the hue of aluminum.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote