Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 26th November 2011, 07:15 PM   #1
stephen wood

Default Takouba with bound scabbard

I thought some of our members might be interested in seeing this Takouba - it was found in a market and I don't know which region it originally came from.

The blade is well-used and flexible with very straight fullers. The scabbard is partially bound in white cotton then overbound with striped cotton strip which forms the baldric. As for the rest I will let the pictures speak for themselves.
Attached Images

Last edited by stephen wood; 26th November 2011 at 11:58 PM.
stephen wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 07:25 PM   #2
Iain

20th century Tuareg mounts, blade probably older. I have seen modern Tuaregs carrying similarly wrapped scabbards. Not sure of the function intended, except perhaps to save wear and tear on the leather...

Here's one example. http://www2.2space.net/images/upl_ne...1316310603.jpg

Nice enough sword, the leather and cloth looks pretty fresh so probably a tourist bring back since the 60s would be my guess. Also older scabbard rings tend to be round and brass. Can't tell from the photos if yours are brass or aluminium?
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2011, 07:45 PM   #3
stephen wood

Thanks Iain, the ring are brass and in shape something between a semicircle and a triangle. The photo is interesting - very similar material.
stephen wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 05:49 PM   #4
Iain

Hi Stephen,

Sounds like some sort of a transition to the white metal and aluminium triangular rings. I have a feeling these as well as chapes and throats were probably recycled and reused on newer leather work as required. Potentially this applies to entire brass hilts as well as I've seen heavy duty and old single piece brass hilts with leather covered guards, where it appears the handle has been cut down to accommodate the newer mounts.

I can probably dig up a few other photos, but they all generally show the same. At least recently this is something in vogue among the Tuareg. I have however, never seen this style depicted on any old photos or sketches.

Cheers,

Iain
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote