Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th February 2015, 10:56 PM   #1
blue lander

Default Dagger with wavy blade

I just impulse bought this dagger because it was cheap and I liked the elegant curves of the blade. The seller only said that it was "probably" from Vietnam, but I don't see any resemblance to other knives from that region. The blade looks pretty well made but the hilt looks like it was made from brass bolts and knobs from a hardware store.

Any idea where it might actually be from? Will take better pictures when it arrives.
Attached Images

blue lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2015, 08:10 PM   #2
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Blue Lander, I would like to wait for better photos of this to be posted, but for now my best guess would be either the Philippines or Mexico. The Philippine people were/are great ones for using whatever was at hand at the time when making weapons. Also because this blade has a definite raised medial ridge giving a more diamond cross section it would not surprise me one bit that this could turn out to be from Luzon
I have also seen daggers and knives from Mexico where the same practice that whatever was readily accessible at the time was used in their production. Again I have also seen this kris or serpentine style of blade on many daggers made in Mexico, but most (not all) did not have a raised medial ridge. Instead they had more of an oval cross section. Either way it is a very well made little dagger and a great addition to your collection. Congratulations.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2015, 12:42 AM   #3
blue lander

Thanks! It does look similar to other Luzon daggers on this site. I'll take better pictures once it arrives.
Old 4th March 2015, 08:13 PM   #4
blue lander

Any idea what this material might be? It appears to be stacked rings of something. It's weird... if you look at a ring directly it's brown, but as you rotate the handle it turns gold depending on the angle or how the light hits it.
Attached Images

Old 5th March 2015, 05:03 PM   #5
DaveA

Default Color change based on angle of view

Interesting knife!

Some materials that are slightly translucent will refract light at different wave lengths based on the angle of lighting. Without going deep into the physics, this property is due to the manner of arrangement of crystalline molecules in the substance. Quartz is one example. Some types of bone also have this property. I think the layers in your hilt are probably made of alternating bone and quartz.

There appears to be quite a bit of info about this phenomenon on the net, but nothing I've found in a quick search lends itself to ease of use in identifying materials based on color change. If I come across anything useful, I'll post it here.

Dave A.
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2015, 05:49 PM   #6
blue lander

Thanks! That actually makes alot of sense. When the material turns gold it seems to be coming from slightly below the surface of the material.
Old 5th March 2015, 06:03 PM   #7
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Blue Lander, Sorry for taking so long to answer your question, but after looking at your last photo I was thinking that the sections making up the hilt on your dagger look more like alternating pieces of bone and horn. Or possibly just bone where the pieces have been alternately stacked and the grain on the open end has taken on more color from age and being handled just like wood will do.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote