Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 6th June 2020, 04:52 PM   #1
Lee
EAAF Staff

Smile Big British Basket Hilted Sword

Following a discussion in another thread I promised to present an example of a threaded tang on a British sword dating to around 1600. Having dismounted the pommel, I am doubting that the actual threads that I now see are pre-Victorian. We do know where this sword was in 1881 as it is illustrated, likely with artistic 'restoration,' in Drummond's Ancient Scottish Weapons and it was sold with the W. Wareing Faulder collection in London in 1889. The sword disappeared for about a century until it resurfaced at Christie's in May, 1994. The current academic opinion is that this sword, as presently configured, is English from around 1600 with a reused 14th century blade and this attribution depends considerably upon the pierced, threaded tang button (a feature seen on the Twysden baskethilt at the Met). The Baron of Earlshall did not exclude a Scottish origin in 1996 (Park Lane Arms Fair catalogue, pp. 30-38) but he had largely come around to the English attribution in 2016 in The Scottish Basket Hilted Sword, vol 1, pp. 464-470. I am hardly in a position to argue with the authorities in this field, but I have always wondered if this sword is not an object intended for the same uses as the Scottish 16th century two handed swords.
Attached Images

Lee is offline   Reply With Quote