Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 10th February 2013, 06:28 PM   #31
T. Koch

It also looks like the concentric layers are visible in the uppermost part of above picture? In this case I agree with you Detlef - certainly looks like hippo tusk. The size and curvature also fits for a tusk split down the middle and worked into a hilt.

The patina is delicious btw!

- Thor
T. Koch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2013, 06:39 PM   #32
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Koch
It also looks like the concentric layers are visible in the uppermost part of above picture? In this case I agree with you Detlef - certainly looks like hippo tusk. The size and curvature also fits for a tusk split down the middle and worked into a hilt.

The patina is delicious btw!

- Thor
Oh, first time we have agreement in the ivory question! And yes, the patina is really great and the pamor of the blade very fine, it is the best piece of my badik collection. I bought it many years ago in Indonesia to a time where I was mainly interested to keris.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2013, 07:48 PM   #33
Moshah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
And yes, the patina is really great and the pamor of the blade very fine, it is the best piece of my badik collection.
I think the pamor make me think that way.

The blade, the dress and especially the hilt was really a feast to my eye!

One note on the hippo hilt - it was not easy to find one over here, as (i) it is rare all right and (ii) it was used in traditional medicine and shamanism, so they were really sought-after by many.

Actually, I've been told that all part of hippo would worth something in traditional medicine, so they never left anything behind...
Moshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2013, 09:12 PM   #34
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshah
I think the pamor make me think that way.

The blade, the dress and especially the hilt was really a feast to my eye!

One note on the hippo hilt - it was not easy to find one over here, as (i) it is rare all right and (ii) it was used in traditional medicine and shamanism, so they were really sought-after by many.

Actually, I've been told that all part of hippo would worth something in traditional medicine, so they never left anything behind...
Yes, I know as well about this. This is the reason why you can find keris hilts from this material where is something cratched awaway. Some Bugis dealer told me this long time ago.
Old 10th February 2013, 09:27 PM   #35
Sajen

Here some fast taken close ups from the badik. It is dated in down from the scabbard (but don't know if it is from 1938 or 1838) and it has a inscription in the back of the scabbard (maybe someone is able to read it). Unfortunately I can't show the pamor better.
Attached Images

Old 11th February 2013, 01:24 AM   #36
Moshah

No intention of giving it a good etch, Detlef?
Old 12th February 2013, 07:13 PM   #37
Sajen

Quote:
No intention of giving it a good etch, Detlef?
Hello Moshah,

not for the moment but maybe one day in the future.
Old 14th February 2013, 10:07 AM   #38
DAHenkel

Moshah, what you have is a badik most likely from Terengganu or perhaps Pahang. The badik Kelantan has a slightly different form blade and scabbard as does Pattani, which is different again. However, unlike badik from Sumatra and Riau, Northeast Peninsular badik do have a bolster or "mar" in local terminology and thus resemble the Sumatran sewar. I have not seen material like that used for your hilt but looks like s/t marine...possibly fossilized. I will ask around next time I'm up in Kelantan.
DAHenkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2013, 05:35 PM   #39
Moshah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAHenkel
Moshah, what you have is a badik most likely from Terengganu or perhaps Pahang. The badik Kelantan has a slightly different form blade and scabbard as does Pattani, which is different again. However, unlike badik from Sumatra and Riau, Northeast Peninsular badik do have a bolster or "mar" in local terminology and thus resemble the Sumatran sewar.
Thanks for the clarification, Dave.

Anyway I am still puzzled, how to ID this blade as a badik, not a sewar? Certainly I am not very much exposed to Badik Terengganu and Pahang, so pardon me, I guess it is kinda basic traits that I am missing here.

Badik Pahang was even a greater mystery to me. But it is good that you've brought this out, since I can learn a lot from you, as you've been to and fro in the Kelantanese keris scene even before their kerises was well received and well known like today...

Quote:
I have not seen material like that used for your hilt but looks like s/t marine...possibly fossilized. I will ask around next time I'm up in Kelantan.
Yup, to my knowledge it was a white akar bahar. Doesn't look antique to me, but definitely not a molar though. I'll post some close up pix later tomorrow.
Old 14th February 2013, 11:11 PM   #40
DAHenkel

As you will know from collecting for many years, identifying a piece is an inexact science that takes in a multitude of factors including form, materials and workmanship. That said, as a very general rule the blade of the badik Terengganu is usually somewhat shorter and less downward curving than the sewar. The tip also tends to be slightly more pointed. One must be somewhat cautious though as there are many more varieties of sewar and a great deal of difference within the varieites as well, so its often not an open and shut case. In your instance though I'm pretty certain.
Old 15th February 2013, 05:22 AM   #41
Moshah

Dear Dave,

Yes I believe by handling many blades, one can develop a better understanding through the close observation that can not be revealed via books and research alone. Of course it takes a lot of time, and a lot of luck to handle such blades, as usually collectors would not easily let people see theirs.

Terengganu styles are unique to themselves, isn't they? I was told that they would prefer a rather straight blades (as opposed to Kelantanese's curvatures). How true is this info, I don't know - open to discussion within this thread.

Here are two Terengganu examples (which I won't vouch myself but I was told it is). Note the differences in the shapes of the sampir on the first example. But was it really a bona fide Terengganu styles, then?
Attached Images

Old 17th February 2013, 03:13 PM   #42
Sajen

I think this thread was very useful for all who are interested in weapons from Peninsula. So many thanks to Moshah for bringing up and Dave for the knowledge he have shared with us.

Regards,

Detlef
Old 18th February 2013, 01:51 AM   #43
Moshah

Well, I should have thanked you and the rest of forumnites for the extended help and informative views and comments...

It is also a delight to learn from Dave as he was at the heart of Malay keris & weaponry scene for such a long time (I was even in my secondary school back then!). He mingles with the right people - old folks of the northern peninsular whose rather die with their knowledge than talk about it. I'm sure it takes a lot of efforts before they would talk more freely and willingly.

Too bad now that most of them were not with us anymore...

BTW, Detlef, posted here were the pix of the hilt - white akar bahar.
Attached Images

Old 18th February 2013, 04:46 PM   #44
Sajen

Quote:
BTW, Detlef, posted here were the pix of the hilt - white akar bahar.
Yes, agree, very nice handle from a rare material!
Old 19th February 2013, 03:15 PM   #45
Moshah

Thanks Detlef...

As Terengganu was basically a coastal country, it just make sense that the use of akar bahar are widely spread across it's region. Hence we have seen many akar bahar keris hilts in the "pipit teleng" or "anak ayam teleng" form - a hilt style associated with Terengganu's famous keris - the Keris Melela / Gelugor.

But again it would be nice to learn whether the Terengganu folks of the old days were really using this material, or it was a newfound trend instead, as older akar bahar hilts were hard to come by, even when the newer version was not that plenty...

However the link of Malay old folks beliefs and the akar bahar otherworldly myths was a good link on the practicality of its place as a hilt material of choice back then, as compared to the classic wooden hilts and ivories.

To me, as much as I loved abstract art, every akar bahar hilt was a surprise, a tell-tale pattern on styles that would never be the same, one after another.
Old 26th February 2013, 12:48 PM   #46
Moshah

Default two last things I need to know...

Hi guys,

I still puzzled by these two things;

1. the markings at the bolster of this badik - is that what the N.Malaysian people called as a "gat" - a talismanic symbol that usually found on their badiks?

2. The edge of this badik seems to have different, emm, "shades". If the true besi baja would be on the edge (which is the must in every case of badik and keris, I guess), then what kind of besi is in the upper part? As Kai have pointed out, it would be made of besi malela, which is basically a besi baja by itself, then did it not supposed to display the same gradient all over the blade?

You can see also that as the edge nearing the tip of the blade, the besi baja goes "berserk" i.e instead of the normal pitting of the besi baja, the structure goes hair-style upwards to the tip. Again, I am totally puzzled as of how it would have happened...
Attached Images

Old 26th February 2013, 09:03 PM   #47
kai

Hello Moshah,

Quote:
1. the markings at the bolster of this badik - is that what the N.Malaysian people called as a "gat" - a talismanic symbol that usually found on their badiks?
Your's looks very man-made to me - could it be leftovers of indentations from a vise or other holding implement?

Quote:
2. The edge of this badik seems to have different, emm, "shades". If the true besi baja would be on the edge (which is the must in every case of badik and keris, I guess), then what kind of besi is in the upper part? As Kai have pointed out, it would be made of besi malela, which is basically a besi baja by itself, then did it not supposed to display the same gradient all over the blade?
This blade looks like the common sandwich construction to me: the hairy structure is the steel core exposed along the cutting edge while the smoother surface is from the outer layers. I'm not convinced the current staining does justice to the materials - I guess careful repolishing and warangan may result in showing the laminations much clearer; this doesn't look like besi malela to me - probably low contrast though.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2013, 10:44 PM   #48
kai

Hello Moshah,

Thanks for the additional pics!

It looks like the akar bahar got stabilized and a few cavities patched up? (Was quartz sand used as a filler?)

Quote:
As Terengganu was basically a coastal country, it just make sense that the use of akar bahar are widely spread across it's region. Hence we have seen many akar bahar keris hilts in the "pipit teleng" or "anak ayam teleng" form - a hilt style associated with Terengganu's famous keris - the Keris Melela / Gelugor.

To me, as much as I loved abstract art, every akar bahar hilt was a surprise, a tell-tale pattern on styles that would never be the same, one after another.
That would make a great new thread, too! I have to admit that I can't claim having seen any number of old pipit teleng hilts made from AB.

The ideosyncracies of this organic material surely call for a very talented carver to make most out of each given piece!

Regards,
Kai
Old 28th February 2013, 01:07 AM   #49
Moshah

Hi Kai,

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Your's looks very man-made to me - could it be leftovers of indentations from a vise or other holding implement?
Yes I am thinking of the same, it should be a man-made. It looks like how they wrap the besi altogether to form the bolster. But if we are talking about holding instruments involved, I think we would see more of the same markings on many other badik as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
This blade looks like the common sandwich construction to me: the hairy structure is the steel core exposed along the cutting edge while the smoother surface is from the outer layers. I'm not convinced the current staining does justice to the materials - I guess careful repolishing and warangan may result in showing the laminations much clearer; this doesn't look like besi malela to me - probably low contrast though.
Is it? I thought the steel core and the outer layers would form the same structure...Oh and I meant "besi melela" here was the type of besi that was used in the production of the keris melela of Terengganu - which I think would be a different version of besi malela of the Javanese kerisology context.

Thanks for the input, Kai.
Old 28th February 2013, 01:16 AM   #50
Moshah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
It looks like the akar bahar got stabilized and a few cavities patched up? (Was quartz sand used as a filler?)
I sincerely think that is the classic way of patching the somewhat porous marine akar bahar material. However some examples were solid and need no patching at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
That would make a great new thread, too! I have to admit that I can't claim having seen any number of old pipit teleng hilts made from AB.
I haven't see many of the old examples myself. I was told that older / antique akar bahar would be denser and solid, as those days it would comes in a bigger forms unlike today's akar bahar, where it has something to do with the declining habitat of the coral itself.

Perhaps Dave Henkel would hint us on the use of akar bahar of the N.Malaysian old world. Meanwhile, I posted a pix of a suspected aging akar bahar's badik hilt...

Regards,
Moshah
Attached Images

Old 28th February 2013, 06:37 PM   #51
Sajen

Quote:
Meanwhile, I posted a pix of a suspected aging akar bahar's badik hilt...
What a beautiful hilt!
Old 28th February 2013, 09:42 PM   #52
kai

Yup, really neat Terengganu piece, Moshah!

BTW, how old do you estimate the silverwork over the bolster and base of blade to be?

Regards,
Kai
Old 1st March 2013, 03:28 PM   #53
Moshah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
What a beautiful hilt!
Thanks, Detlef.

Did it not that your nice akar bahar rentjong hilt that was in a thread you've posted recently, was an antique too?
Old 1st March 2013, 03:35 PM   #54
Moshah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
BTW, how old do you estimate the silverwork over the bolster and base of blade to be?
That was quite tricky, Kai.

Since you've asked, I don't think it was that old. The silver was rather thick, though. See few added pix and tell me whether you see it differently or not ...

On the other hand, my greatest worry is that the bolster and upper part of the badik would have been damaged beforehand, and this silver adornment was a repair idea...

I can not fathom that it was a special commission, which if it ever was, maybe Dave Henkel could throw in a few insights on it. Perhaps he has seen some other similar examples back then in N.Malaysia.

Regards,
Moshah
Attached Images

Old 1st March 2013, 10:32 PM   #55
kai

Hello Moshah,

Quote:
Since you've asked, I don't think it was that old. The silver was rather thick, though. See few added pix and tell me whether you see it differently or not ...
I agree: Looks like decent but possibly modern workmanship - maybe done sometime after WW2?

Quote:
On the other hand, my greatest worry is that the bolster and upper part of the badik would have been damaged beforehand, and this silver adornment was a repair idea...
Those bolsters seem to be very sturdy - have seen only a few damaged examples and a piece with such a hilt is likely to have above average craftmanship as well as receiving decent maintenance. Thus, I guess you can put your worries at rest.

Quote:
maybe Dave Henkel could throw in a few insights on it. Perhaps he has seen some other similar examples back then in N.Malaysia.
Yes, that would be great - we really need more info on traditional motifs on Terengganu silverwork!

Regards,
Kai
Old 2nd March 2013, 07:20 AM   #56
DAHenkel

Regarding the siver covered bolster...I have seen similar examples though rare enough, but whether it was to cover up a forging flaw or simply embellishment is a matter of speculation.

Also, I wanted to post another example of bahar putih...this on a very small (14cm blade, 21cm OAL) badik Terengganu in my collection.
Attached Images

Old 2nd March 2013, 01:58 PM   #57
Moshah

What a lovely hilt!

It looks like you have a whitish-black akar bahar there; something I've never seen before!

This is why to my recollection I've seen how akar bahar was utilized mainly by Terengganu craftsmen, and I've seen only very few examples on either Kelantan or Pattani pieces. However, I still did not know whether it is a special commissioned, used for status pieces or simply commissioned whenever it is available. And it is not usually available, though...

On the silver bolster, it just came up to me that if anyone want to cover such flaw, the use of lower grade material or simply a reforge might do the job. Or ordering a brand new badik might be even cheaper back then. Furthermore, the pandais of those days would not simply sell their flaw finished products for their own pride; they rather scrap it off and remake another by using the same material...IMHO.

To pair it with Kai's theory, I think that makes much of the sense, as the part that was susceptible to damage would be the edge and the tip, instead of the sturdy and thick bolster.

However I am not rejecting the theory that the badik might be damaged at certain point of time on his life and ended up being embellished with silver on the hand of dealers...perhaps on not so distant an age from today.

Anyway Dave, did the one you've seen with the silver embellishment was a fairly bad or average piece?

Last edited by Moshah; 2nd March 2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 3rd March 2013, 02:15 AM   #58
DAHenkel

Oh no, its a very nice one...allegedly the property of a member of the Terengganu Royal Family...with a bahar hilt and a very unusual, double edged, pamor blade
Old 3rd March 2013, 12:54 PM   #59
Moshah

Quote:
Oh no, its a very nice one...allegedly the property of a member of the Terengganu Royal Family...with a bahar hilt and a very unusual, double edged, pamor blade
Thanks, Dave...to bad I couldn't see it myself.

In the Terengganu state museum, there is an almost similar example of the embellishment practice, where the subject was labeled as "sewar" though, but with a golden embellishment. Pix courtesy of Jentayu, if I am not mistaken (sorry if I did.. )

Back to the badik in question, it seems to me that the silver bolster was made to fit the hilt base, as it was adequately fit. However it is not fixed. Is it normal to have a badik hilt fixed to the tang, or could it be like kerises hilt, where one can remove anytime, anywhere?
Attached Images