Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st August 2011, 07:03 PM   #1
DaveA

Question Mystery double knives - Chinese?

Here is a very small - palm sized - set of double knives. Total length inside the scabbard is 13.8cm. The construction seems very good. The blades are thick and strong. Decoration of many layers and colors is quite nice on the hilts, which are made of ox horn (I think). The metal scabbard seems of quite more recent creation than the knives, although they fit very nicely. The previous owner said that this pair was found in Linxia, Gansu province. "During dynasty's time Linxia was called "Herzhou" (which means river city), and these two Chinese characters are found on one of the knives." The other appears to be engraved with a dragon design. The former owner said the design and body of the knives are "Tibetan style of 100 years ago".

Comments please?
Attached Images

DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2011, 07:29 PM   #2
Atlantia

LOL, didn't see the last bit of your post. They look Tibettan to me too.

Last edited by Atlantia; 31st August 2011 at 08:26 PM.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 02:01 AM   #3
harimauhk

I have a modern pair much like them from Kashgar (in Northern China). I believe yours were most likely made in or around Kashgar too.

This is where they've been made for the last 2000 years (supposedly): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yengisar_County
harimauhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 09:35 PM   #4
josh stout

It is a Bao An knife made in the last 30 years or so.

(http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ighlight=baoan)

I have a single knife example that is very similar, also from Gansu that I like very much. These are solid knives from an ethnic Tibetan minority and would also likely be available in Kashgar. So while I would not say it is antique, it is very much of ethnographic interest as the product of an active knife wielding society. These were made for use
Josh
josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2011, 09:42 PM   #5
Ren Ren

Its modern knives from Gansu, south-western province of China.
Ren Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2011, 01:01 PM   #6
DaveA

Thumbs up Thanks Josh!

I've been a member of the forum long enough to have seen the depth of the discussions, but the archived threads never cease to astonish and delight me. Thank you Josh for the link! From there I was able to find quite a bit of useful information! There is little doubt in my mind that these are Bao An knives. For the record, here is a short description given by another member of this ethnic group:

Quote:
"The formal name of Bao An people is Bonan ethnic minority group, whose home is mainly at the foot of JiShi mountain, almost at the boundary of GanSu and QingHai province . The population of Bonan ethnic minority group is about 16,505. Their local language belong to Mongolian Austronesian. Their religion is Islam. In China, Bonan ethnic minority group is famous for their man-made knives-Bonan Dao."
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote