Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th March 2011, 01:16 AM   #31
tom hyle

Can we get a report on cross-section, thickness (especially at tip), and edge geometry on the mystery blade, BTW; I was gonna bid but had to buy a phone charger instead (despite mine being brand new;" /untranslated chinese/ high-tech alliance crap!") but frankly felt that the gamble factor was is it from Irian Jaya? I didn't want to spoil the mood for you, and since you have it in hand, I take it you'd have mentioned if it were egregiously unweaponly?
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 04:17 PM   #32
Nirghosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Most of the time I just use a seal. However, I have stained it with walnut before, which looks like the area between the inner and outer parts of the narra tree, or a truly aged piece of inner narra wood.
Very useful insight, thanks!
I've mostly made my handles in a representative style (since they're just my trainers anyway). But as I've begun to get more competent with the solid handles(vs slabs) I've wanted to make them more accurate.
Nirghosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 05:05 AM   #33
harimauhk

I found this thread when looking for info on the Illanun of Borneo and their kampilans. I'll be in Malaysian Borneo later this year and I'm hoping to acquire modern-made blades from a number of tribes there.

As far as brass/bronze being talismanic: even some of the Christians of Southern Luzon believe brass blades offer protection. Some believe a brass dagger will protect against aswang.
harimauhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 05:07 AM   #34
KuKulzA28

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimauhk
I found this thread when looking for info on the Illanun of Borneo and their kampilans. I'll be in Malaysian Borneo later this year and I'm hoping to acquire modern-made blades from a number of tribes there.
Good luck with your mission! I look forward to what you find.
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 05:12 AM   #35
harimauhk

Thanks Kuk! I only have five days there, so I'm going to focus on the coastal areas of Sabah this time. It's going to be an exciting year. Southern Thailand, Mindanao and West Java are all definites!
Old 23rd March 2011, 07:33 PM   #36
Battara
EAAF Staff

Talking

Quote:

As far as brass/bronze being talismanic: even some of the Christians of Southern Luzon believe brass blades offer protection. Some believe a brass dagger will protect against aswang.
I think spunger had a Katipunan dagger that had a brass blade. We wondered it it was ceremonial or talismanic.

Bring back what you find.(and bring back lots of presents)
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 06:52 AM   #37
harimauhk

I'll see what I can do
Old 30th March 2011, 08:37 PM   #38
Robert
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Harimauhk,
Here a a few examples of brass and copper bladed daggers that I believe are from Luzon. If the ones with brass blades are meant for protection, are the copper bladed ones meant for a more nefarious purpose as I have heard?

Robert
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2011, 06:16 AM   #39
ThePepperSkull

Is there any validity to the metal inlays being able to cause harm to said evil spirits? ('Validity' in terms of intent of purpose in the culture, of course, and not actual ghost-busting ). As I was told, it was the case that steel or iron would not harm an evil spirit and would simply go though it, but brass or copper or bronze would harm one as badly as a blade would harm the living.

I'm not sure how valid a statement that was, though. this was information passed onto me anecdotally via a relative and not though any sort of quotable/referencable text. Are there any cultures that beleve these metals inlaid in a blade can not only ward off evil spirits, but actually cause them harm if used in defense?
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 03:11 PM   #40
harimauhk

Since brass contains copper, the copper-colored blades may just be brass with more copper than usual.

Pep: Some brass has to be better than none. That's the first I've heard of the blades actually being used to COMBAT spirits. I thought just having them around was enough.