Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th June 2013, 08:03 PM   #1
Sajen

Default Banjarmasin keris?

Hello,

I get offered this keris and want to ask you if you agree that this keris is maybe a Banjarmasin keris. I am allowed to show the pictures here. Handle is maritime ivory and very well patinated.
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 06:13 PM   #2
Moshah

Very nice hilt, Detlef, albeit the carving was rather crude!

Can't comment on the keris as I know next to nothing about Banjarmasin kerises...
Moshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 08:12 PM   #3
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshah
Very nice hilt, Detlef, albeit the carving was rather crude!

Can't comment on the keris as I know next to nothing about Banjarmasin kerises...
Hello Moshah,

nice to have you back here! Thank you for comment. Yes, the carving is crude and not very deep. I don't know if there are members who have a deep knowledge abaut Banjar kerises. Many will have seen pictures from kerises described as Banjarmasin but I doubt there is someone with a really deep knowledge.

Regards,

Detlef
Old 11th June 2013, 08:45 PM   #4
Jean

I just won this piece on Ebay (sorry for the poor pictures) which at least has a genuine hilt & typical gayaman sheath from Banjar
Regards
Attached Images

Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2013, 08:51 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
I just won this piece on Ebay (sorry for the poor pictures) which at least has a genuine hilt & typical gayaman sheath from Banjar
Regards
Hello Jean,

very nice keris, can you post bigger pictures from the blade? My first impression is that the blade have a strong Palembang touch.

Regards,

Detlef
Old 12th June 2013, 07:19 AM   #6
kai

Congrats, Jean!

I believe your piece does deserve a seperate thread with larger pics once you receive it.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 07:57 AM   #7
kai

Hello Detlef,

In the keris you inquire about I don't see any feature that IMVHO clearly points to a Banjar origin; the hilt doesn't look like Solo, Yogya, nor Madura craftmanship to me either. Banjar carving work tends to be very neat, especially floral or geometric design elements found with (non-figural) wooden hilts. I agree that this hilt seems to be old and exhibits some genuine wear; it's certainly desirable and warrants further research. I'd hesitate to associate it with the buzzing economical hub and international melting pot of the Banjar/Negara area and would tend to look for more of a backwater in those days as a possible origin.

This seems to be a kinda odd ensemble: How well does the blade fit into the scabbard? Any close-ups of the base of the blade as well as of the mendak? I hope our members specializing in Java/Madura will also chime in...

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 08:48 AM   #8
Jean

Hello Detlef and Kai,
Thank you and OK, I will post better pictures when I receive it and I will probably need to slightly refurbish the gandar (fully covered with coiled & glued thread). I agree that the origin of the blade is not clear and it is not a fantastic piece but it has age and fits well into the sheath slot. According to the seller this kris was purchased in Indonesia about 40 years ago.
Best regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 11:35 AM   #9
Marcokeris

I dont' know about the blade but i think the hilt is not from kalimantan. It seems made for dress a selut (jogja or solo). I never seen ( of course in my personal experience) a banjarmasin hilt with a javanise selut. Imo maybe this hilt hade a lost selut that married well the mendak of the pic
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2013, 06:13 PM   #10
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Hello Detlef,

In the keris you inquire about I don't see any feature that IMVHO clearly points to a Banjar origin; the hilt doesn't look like Solo, Yogya, nor Madura craftmanship to me either. Banjar carving work tends to be very neat, especially floral or geometric design elements found with (non-figural) wooden hilts. I agree that this hilt seems to be old and exhibits some genuine wear; it's certainly desirable and warrants further research. I'd hesitate to associate it with the buzzing economical hub and international melting pot of the Banjar/Negara area and would tend to look for more of a backwater in those days as a possible origin.

This seems to be a kinda odd ensemble: How well does the blade fit into the scabbard? Any close-ups of the base of the blade as well as of the mendak? I hope our members specializing in Java/Madura will also chime in...

Regards,
Kai
Hello Kai,

this was the reason why I post it. But it seems that the blade, scabbard and hilt belong together but wouldn't be surprised when the mendak is a later addition. This keris is a real puzzle for me.

Here some additional pictures.

Best regards,

Detlef
Attached Images