Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 7th July 2013, 10:51 AM   #1
weapons 27

Default halberd chinese???

hello my friends

can identify you this halberd, I think Chinese?It measures 66cm + 7cm that fits into the handle...the blade has a chisel, it is sharp on both sides,
Attached Images

weapons 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2013, 07:12 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

I HAVE NOT SEEN ANYTHING LIKE YOUR EXAMPLE BUT IT COULD HAVE EVOLVED FROM AN ANCIENT CHINESE FORM. THE OLD FORM BRONZE POLEARMS HAD THE BLADE MONUTED LIKE AN AX OR PICK FOR A DOWNWARD CHOPPING STRIKE. YOUR EXAMPLE HAS A LONG LANCE OR SPEAR BLADE AS THE MAIN WEAPON BUT HAS THE SIDE BLADE THAT COULD BE USED FOR THE DOWNWARD STRIKE.
1. AN EXAMPLE OF A SHANG DYNASTY BRONZE BLADE WITH ONLY THE DOWNWARD CHOPPING STRIKEING FUNCTION
2.AN EXAMPLE OF A CHINESE BRONZE POLEARM HEAD WITH SPEAR AND TWO SIDE BLADES FOR DOWNWARD, SIDE TO SIDE AND THRUSTING STRIKES. I DON'T KNOW IF THIS SECOND FORM IS A REAL HISTORICAL FORM OF ARTEFACT OR A FANTASY ITEM BUT IS THE CLOSEST I CAN COME TO YOUR EXAMPLE. A INTERESTING ITEM PERHAPS SOMEONE CAN PIN IT DOWN FOR YOU GOOD LUCK.
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 05:27 AM   #3
weapons 27

thank vandoo

me too I have never seen this type of spear or halberd, I hope that someone can help me!
Old 8th July 2013, 09:51 AM   #4
kronckew

the 2.75 inch tang seems rather short for a hewing weapon.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 10:30 AM   #5
Gavin Nugent

I suspect more mainland SEA for the origians rather than China.

If China proper, I'd typically expect a socket fit.

Regards

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2013, 10:57 AM   #6
Timo Nieminen

Doesn't look Chinese to me. My first two guesses would be Thai and Indian. Followed by Philippines and Indonesia.

For precedents, rather than Chinese ge/ji, how about the Japanese hoko? (The more modern (i.e., Medieval and Edo) hoko, which is a spear with side hook/blade, rather than the ancient hoko, which was just an ordinary spear.) Some examples in Stone, and also in Knutsen (Japanese Polearms & Japanese Spears). AKA kata-kama-yari.
Timo Nieminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2013, 09:14 PM   #7
josh stout

To me it looks like it might almost be African. Either way, the tang has not been peened and there is no other method of attachment, so I would guess it is a ceremonial or tourist piece that was hammered into a pole without being further secured.
Josh
josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2013, 05:27 AM   #8
Gavin Nugent

An astute reader has pointed out to me that these are Vietnamese and are shown in the Hanoi museum.

Gavin
Old 14th July 2013, 08:56 AM   #9
weapons 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwordsAntiqueWeapons
An astute reader has pointed out to me that these are Vietnamese and are shown in the Hanoi museum.

Gavin
ok
thank gavin
Old 31st July 2013, 07:54 PM   #10
josh stout

Gavin-

I believe your assessment but I find it confusing. I have a few Vietnamese pieces and they are rather more refined than the appearance on this one.

What do you think accounts for the crude look
Josh
josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2013, 09:20 AM   #11
Gavin Nugent

Hi Josh,

I have held and seen Vietnamese weapons of both very high and very poor quality, some items of the same type but at each end of the scale....I guess like everything, budget plays a part and does usage and region of manufacture.
Last year I viewed a collection of 7 yanyuedao from the region and was impressed with several highly details, fullered and well finished blades but others were capable but poorly finished.
After seeing these I feel the one presented in this link is also from the Vietnamese regions; http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=13064

I am sure the crude look accounts for a particular use but what the exact reasoning behind it is unknown to me but it does look very capable.

Gavin