Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd August 2013, 04:02 PM   #1
Sajen

Default Visayan bolo, pinuti?

Have bought this Visayan bolo, first you may think that it is a talibon but I think that the blade form is different. It has a chisel ground edge but the bend after the bevel isn't so strong like by a talibon. After some research I found this older thread: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=pinuti and I think both bolos are very similar and also the age of both could be in the same frame. Hopeful that it isn't a early tourist item but the blade seems to be good worked.
Your opinion would be very appreciated.
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 12:17 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

Interesting pinuti. I don't think that this is a tourist item - the scabbard carving looks too good and old to my eyes.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 03:54 AM   #3
KuKulzA28

I think it may be a tourist item. Seems concurrent with all those "Philippines" scabbards and Army bring back talibongs. I had one like it long ago.
Attached Images

KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 11:14 AM   #4
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Interesting pinuti. I don't think that this is a tourist item - the scabbard carving looks too good and old to my eyes.
Thank you Jose! That's what I thought myself. Will post more pictures when I have received it.

Regards,

Detlef
Old 24th August 2013, 11:19 AM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuKulzA28
I think it may be a tourist item. Seems concurrent with all those "Philippines" scabbards and Army bring back talibongs. I had one like it long ago.
Could be but not all Army bring back talibongs are special worked for them so that you can classify them as tourist items. Here is an old thread from Senior members about talibons of this quality: http://www.vikingsword.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001242.html

Regards,

Detlef
Old 24th August 2013, 09:23 PM   #6
FilAmfighter1

Default Not a Pinute

OK looking at the blade it is a Pinute, it is Garab. Have several in my collection.
FilAmfighter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 09:31 PM   #7
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilAmfighter1
OK looking at the blade it is a Pinute, it is Garab. Have several in my collection.
Thank you for comment! So you don't think that it is a pinuti but a talibon/garab also when the bend after the bevel isn't so strong as normal? Have you had a look to the other thread I have given the link? Please can you show your examples? And what you think about the age from my one?

Thank you,

Detlef

Last edited by Sajen; 24th August 2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 24th August 2013, 09:54 PM   #8
Battara
EAAF Staff

I guess when I think of talibon/garab, I think of larger blades (and older ones with slightly curved spines as well).
Old 24th August 2013, 11:51 PM   #9
Sajen

Agree with you Jose, Garabs are the big ones, look post #3 in this thread: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ighlight=garab
Talibons are the smaller and more simple ones for every day use.
But my question would be if we can classify the one in question still as talibon?
Old 25th August 2013, 05:34 PM   #10
FilAmfighter1

Default Army Bring back Garab

The piece looks like a post war maybe 1940s Army bring Garab knife. It is missing the unit crest for the WW-2 souvenir types and cord belt.There are slight differences seen between the Talibon and Garab knives. The big blades it it easier to tell. One of the great challenges is that some local maker makes the blade to what they think it should look like. Many blades were made on Luzon to represent those from other regions. Batangas does the same thing today.
FilAmfighter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 09:44 PM   #11
Battara
EAAF Staff

Sajen I have noticed that garab and talibon seem interchangeable.

Filamfighter1, although I don't think this is a tourist piece, I do agree that it may have been made for use during WWII. I believe that usually the better the carving the earlier the pieceay be as a general rule of thumb.