Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th July 2009, 04:54 PM   #31
VVV

Thanks Ganja,

I have also read Mulderīs book on Mysticism. Another of my favourites are Koentjaraningratīs Javanese Culture.
Enough with words and back to the function of this keris.
I suspect the clue is that earth spirits are afraid of iron and people are afraid of earth spirits.
So if you want to protect yourself against earth spirits itīs good to have a piece of iron on you or next to the object, like a rice-field, you want to protect...

Michael
VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 05:27 PM   #32
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montino Bourbon
Got this one from an aquaintance in Bali. I would love to hear your opinions.

Blade length 27 cm

total length 38.5 cm
The hilt -- although quite rough -- is typically old eastern Jawa style. Also the warangka, eastern Jawa -- almost similar with Solonese gayaman, but usually without pendhok...

A straight "puthut kembar" (twin priest) keris...

GANJAWULUNG
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 08:27 PM   #33
lemmythesmith

Hi all, here's my talismanic keris, blade is 139mm long with a slot cut through the blade. When I bought it I was told the slot was for poison in the bottom half of the slot there is a colourless residue which I have left well alone! Does anyone know any significance to the stripe down the sheath? It has been carefully shaped to ensure the stripe in the middle. The blade also appears to have a very stylised "putut" too.
Attached Images

lemmythesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2009, 05:28 AM   #34
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmythesmith
Does anyone know any significance to the stripe down the sheath? It has been carefully shaped to ensure the stripe in the middle.
If the stripe 'across' the sheath, across the fibre -- then it will be called as "kendhit". But I don't think there is a special term for the stripe down "pelet" (dark motif in timoho wood) or may be there is? Visually it is good, stripe down.

The 'silver' frame, I guess you made it yourself. Didn't you?

GANJAWULUNG
Old 16th July 2009, 06:08 AM   #35
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVV
I have also read Mulderīs book on Mysticism. Another of my favourites are Koentjaraningratīs Javanese Culture.
Enough with words and back to the function of this keris.
I suspect the clue is that earth spirits are afraid of iron and people are afraid of earth spirits.
So if you want to protect yourself against earth spirits itīs good to have a piece of iron on you or next to the object, like a rice-field, you want to protect...
Yes, it is an interesting book. And I think, it is a need too, to search more 'spiritual meaning' of keris world, not only from function. But also from "words"...

Searching "words" on mysticism, for instance. It will enrich your knowledge on keris. As Mulder said in his book ... "mysticism has occupied a place of pride in Javanese culture for a very long time..."

Event with the advent of Islam and its social organization, in Indonesia -- according to Niels Mulder -- mysticism in Java have changed, adapting themselves to and being shaped by new circumstances...

"Slametan", for instance or as Alan just said in the previous post on "bersih desa" ritual, may be it could be explain a little bit -- why in the past Javanese used to give "offering" to the mother nature...

"Slametan" -- according to Mulder -- is a core ritual to sustain, maintain, or promote order. A communal religious meal in which neighbours plus some relatives and friends participate. Slametan demonstrate the desire to be safe in an unruly world...

GANJAWULUNG
Old 16th July 2009, 02:48 PM   #36
ganjawulung

Physically, it is not worth to be called as weapon. Too thin, although the 'sarung' or sheath looks like a small pedang-warangka -- made of "sana keling" wood (blackish wood, I don't know the English name of it) and "mamas" frame...

Very thin old blade, with dhapur "betok". And it has a residual ornament in the "sor-soran" (lower) part. Like my other "talismanic keris", the blade also smelled so strong of "misik" parfume...

GANJAWULUNG
Attached Images

Last edited by ganjawulung; 16th July 2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 21st November 2011, 02:35 PM   #37
Karttikeya

I have attached my tiny patrem, its dapur is Brojol. I do not know whether we can call it as patrem or not more than talismanic item. The full length is 7 cm including pesi. It seems to forge pamor, iron, and core into the blade.
Attached Images

Karttikeya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 05:35 PM   #38
dewaruci

kris sajen also have a balance ....
Attached Images

dewaruci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 02:43 PM   #39
mykeris

Default Very Interesting Thread! 'TALASMANIC KERISes'!

Mine is made of copper recenlty acquired, I do not know whether 'material-copper' is good for Jimat (Talasmanic). Length 25cm in sheath. I wouldn't know whether is new or old because many Javanese old fake kerises in the market. No talasmanic-waves transmitted yet because the keris is just on its way to my home.he he he..hopefully it turns out to be something nice.

SHARING A METHOD: ACTIVATING MYSTICAL PROPERTIES OF NON-ACTIVE KERISES: : Put your keris on top of a white bowl containing water, get a 15 inch Magnifying Glass and place it on top of your Keris during a Full Moon night. Let the moon shine on your keris untill it moves away. If you don't get immediate result, do it a few times during a full moon night. Gud Luck.
Attached Images

Last edited by mykeris; 16th July 2012 at 02:01 AM.
mykeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 11:47 PM   #40
mykeris

Default Lee Jones: Is this thread closed?

No moderators...? Thanks..mykeris
mykeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 02:09 AM   #41
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykeris
No moderators...? Thanks..mykeris
Not closed .

Continue ......
Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012, 02:27 PM   #42
David
Keris forum moderator

If the thread were closed you would not have been able to post here...
David is offline   Reply With Quote