Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22nd February 2018, 08:47 PM   #1
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Borneo parang naibur--a mix of old and new

In a recent discussion of a Borneo mandau, mention was made of fine rattan on the hilt being more indicative of older manufacture than coarser rattan wrappings. This prompted me to look back at some of my Borneo swords and reconsider their age. In doing so, I came across the one shown below, which I acquired online in 2005 and was discussed here at that time. For present purposes I will refer to my sword as a parang naibur, although Albert van Zonneveld shows a similar sword in his book that is called langgai tinggang, and our Borneo experts may have other names they can offer too. My main point in posting this one again is to illustrate what I think is old and new about this sword.

First, I think the scabbard itself is old, possibly 19th C. The wood shows areas that had red pigment and lime decoration which have faded over time (Figures A–D). The scabbard has nice traditional carving near the throat and is bound with bands of narrow rattan that have been woven intricately into characteristic designs. These contrast with the simple wrap with wide rattan strips to which a fiber rope is attached. This rope forms a belt from which bear claws are suspended (Figures E, F), and the belt is completed with a plastic disk (Figure G) that hooks through a loop in the rope. I think this belt was likely added shortly before the sword was offered online. I am wondering whether the generalization about thin versus thick rattan for hilts may also apply here to the scabbard as well.

The hilt is also likely to be a recent feature. Carved from wood in a traditional style, it lacks the elegance and refinement of older work, and the addition of bear fur was probably another attempt to enhance the online attractiveness of the item. The rattan wrapping on the hilt would seem to be of the “wider” variety mentioned in the mandau thread.

The blade appears old, and I would date it with the scabbard as possibly 19th C. It has a dark patina with areas of stable old rust that are almost black (Figure B). The blade is well forged and straight, with a thickness of 7.5 mm just in front of the hilt and tapering smoothly to 3.0 mm where the spine turns down towards the cutting edge and the blade has a maximum width of 4.5 cm. A fuller is present on each side just below the spine of the blade—the fullers are well cut, of even width, and run parallel to the curved spine. This is a good quality blade made by a skilled craftsman.

Along the spine of the blade are groups of lines with shallow brass inlay. These lines are widest closest to the hilt and narrowest near the tip. They are present in groups of 5—7—6—7—6—5 going from the hilt towards the tip (Figure C).

Dimensions:
Overall length = 61.5 cm
Length of blade = 49.0 cm
Ian

Attached Images

Last edited by Ian; 22nd February 2018 at 08:57 PM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote