Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27th February 2010, 05:35 PM   #1
Dimasalang

Default Old Photo of Philippines "Bolo Maker"

Since some of you members here are in to Philippines weapons, I'm sure you will see the significance of this photo.
I collect various old photos off the net(anything Philippines history in general)...so dang many I lose track and forget where I get them. I was just thumbing through random photos on my computer last night and found this one. I had this photo stashed in a folder that was dated 2005. It is high quality and I never really looked at the fine details(Im on a laptop). But after blowing it up you can see he is more likely one of the bolo makers of the Phil-Am War era(~1900), and quite possibly for the 1st Republic. I say this cause all the other photos in that folder are of the Phil-Am War and are from that same photographer.
At the bottom the caption written on the photo was marked out by a black marker. But you can still read it says "Bolo Maker" and after that I believe it says the smiths name. I can't make out the name! If someone see the name on their computer better or has a photo editing program that can bring the name out, please let me know. This guys name should be remembered.

*Note the chocolate crate in the bottom right corner. The company name can probably tell us more on the date of this photo if it is looked in to.

Tools and a few other carved daggers.

Random stuff on the back wall.

After blowing it up completely, you can see from this photo the obvious fist carved handle he created.

I know some of the members here have the fist shaped handles. Can we repost them here? Maybe we will see obvious similarities..and just maybe this is the man who made some of our bolos.
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote