Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 12th February 2011, 02:54 AM   #1
Robert
EAAF Staff

Default Talibong, Real Or Tourist

Here is a small talibong that I found. The scabbard is in pieces at the moment and being glued back together so I didn't include any pictures of it but will post them later if this is not just a tourist item. Maybe this was made for a child or maybe to be used in the preparation of food? The blade is very well made and is 1/4 inch thick at the hilt, very sharp and has nice decorations on the ricasso. Sorry about the pictures. They were taken inside with a flash as we have over 18 inches of snow and it is around 15 degrees outside. All comments and thoughts on this are welcomed.

Robert
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 03:21 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

It looks newer to me.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 04:24 AM   #3
laEspadaAncha

Jose,

I'm come across talibongs that are a little smaller than Robert's and show some age... This particular example aside, what were the small talibongs used for?
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 06:27 PM   #4
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Jose and thank you for your comments. Just so you know, this picture and the ones above were taken after cleaning the rust from the blade and cleaning and waxing the hilt. The main reason that I posted this is the file work on the blade seemed uncommon.

Robert

P.S.
The reason for cleaning this up so much is that I use it in the kitchen for cutting vegetables.
Attached Images

Last edited by Robert Coleman; 12th February 2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 12th February 2011, 10:36 PM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

Well, that helps Robert. The hilt and file marks appear newer to me. Yet the blade profile is older in design and certainly traditional.

These smaller ones AI believe were used more as utility pieces and for the bush.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 02:13 AM   #6
tom hyle

dagger/knife sized talibons are common, and I suppose they'd be used as dagger/knives. This one looks pre-wwII to me and nice. Notice the blade which is both curved and narrow; bannana like; this is how the thumbrest "garab" ones are; newer blades tend more to have straightish spines. The base is thicke and wedge-shaped, no? Newer blades are thinner/flatter and even sometimes thicker at the front edge (a style I also enjoy). No thumb rest as such though, huh? the very narrow waist is a feature I consider older/more original. Looks like an older piece to me. I love the great variety in these.....
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 08:46 PM   #7
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Tom and thank you for your thoughts on this. Old or new I really like this small knife and it is one of the best made ones (except for the quality of the hilt) that I have seen yet. A nice thick well made blade with good lines and exceptionally sharp edge. It is too bad that the scabbard is in such damaged condition. IF I ever get it straightened out I will post a couple of pictures of it, before and after. The problem is I have so many projects ahead of it I couldn't even guess when it might be. Again my thanks for all who have shared their thoughts on this interesting little knife.

Robert
Old 19th March 2011, 01:34 AM   #8
tom hyle

Any chance it has a scarf welded edge?
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 05:01 AM   #9
harimauhk

I have two similar-sized talibongs from WWII with kamagong handles and scabbards. BTW, the filemarking on the tang is found throughout the Philippines and is believed to be an ancient symbol that is put on blades to protect their owners. As with many Visayan blades, I believe talibongs are for general use as well as for use as weapons.
harimauhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 05:18 AM   #10
Robert
EAAF Staff

Tom, It actually does have a scarf welded edge. I guess it does not show too clearly in the pictures. It is a very well made blade.

Harimauhk, Do yours have the file work on the blade like this one?

Robert
Old 23rd March 2011, 05:21 AM   #11
harimauhk

Hi Robert,

I have mine in storage--I'd have to check. Pandays throughout the Philippines were taught to put similar markings on their blades, and many continue to do so without really knowing why. I've even seen them on balisongs! I thought they were just maker's marks until I came across a source that said they were talismanic. That might explain why similar markings are found on blades from completely different areas.
harimauhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 05:39 AM   #12
Robert
EAAF Staff

Yes, I too have seen this type of markings on quite a few Philippine edged weapons before, but this is the first talibong that I have seen marked in this way.