FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 2nd August 2007, 11:09 PM   #31
Spunjer

Quote:
These things just creep me out. I would say "Awesome Kris, let me know if
you want to get rid of it,"...
hi bsmstar,
i think there's a limit with what i want to have, versus the safety of my love ones. i'm still waiting on labantayo's response...

zel,
got ur text and tried calling you last night but forgot about the half day time difference, lol. you mentioned siasi. but why siasi? clearly, this is a classic tawi-tawi piece. the only siasi connection i can get from this is the handle type and style, unless of course... anyways, the albularyo or babaylan as we call them, angle sounds good, but the best ones i know are from tanduyan in ajuy, iloilo. even then, it's been awhile. also, dunno about them messing with moro hocus focus tho. i got an idea: why can't i just send this over there to you, and perhaps do the necessary thing? i'm looking at 2, perhaps 3 years before i get to visit again. i really hate to inconvinience the quiet one for something petty like this. btw, yeah, i've already contacted mabagani in regards to this. pm me or leave a message what would be a good time and date that i can call you.

mare rosu,
i've been reading that thread with interest, and would definitely like to try that. here's another cool one i tried with this sword: if you have a flourescent tube light, and with a dimmer switch, try set the switch to the lowest level. now place the sword next to the tube. now gently slide it against the tube and watch the light dance. might be an old trick with the veteran collectors, but nevertheless, found this out by accident. pretty neat trick, lol.

bill,
you said:

Quote:
I understand that many shaministic pieces from various cultures can contain spirits, Jen, that were attached to their original owners. It is believed
that without the proper rituals to keep them happy and in place, they can
become problems
therein lies the problem. if one has to believe the esoteric side of these swords, to really know it intimately, rather than it looks neat and it belong to these group of warriors, then we must delve deeper into it. unfortunately, the most knowledgeable members (plural) who actually travelled and studied these weapons on both the physical and metaphysical aspects of it are no longer here. to haphazard some mumbo jumbo ritual without knowing what's going on is akin to placing me in the cockpit of a 747 just because i know how to drive a car and they both have steering wheels and speedometer. it's easy to bring up the indonesian train of thought in this matter. as a matter of fact, i've been following the thread "of keris and spirits" on the other page with great interest. ah, but these two aren't quite the same, as even the mods clearly shows that they don't belong in the same category. even among the bisayans in the philippines, the babaylan will have a totally different ritual than a manughilot, another local medicine man. so my thinking is, without knowing the proper method, why take a chance. for all i know, i could be doing the opposite i really didn't want to see, lol. all that aside, my western upbringing says there's a logical reasoning behind all of these; a scientific explanation, but my eastern background keeps nagging me as to why i try to reason an eastern object with a western way of thinking.
as far as jesuits go:
this jesuit hocus focus sword is not helping me any, lol.
Attached Images

Old 3rd August 2007, 04:40 AM   #32
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunjer
pm me or leave a message what would be a good time and date that i can call you.
Since much of this conversation involves nudges,winks and allusions to certain secret individuals and privilaged occult information which no one seems prepared to share with the entire class i would think that a great deal of this thread would probably be more appropriate to the medium of PM.

Quote:
even among the bisayans in the philippines, the babaylan will have a totally different ritual than a manughilot, another local medicine man.
Why do you think that is? What does it tell you about the nature of magic?
Old 3rd August 2007, 07:00 AM   #33
Bill M

Agreed. Unsubscribing from thread.
Old 3rd August 2007, 10:53 PM   #34
Spunjer

lol, those secret individuals wouldn't be so much of a secret have they still have the means to answer me directly in this forum, but i believe they were banned for good? i could be wrong tho... in regards to the "privileged occult information", i was under the impression that zelbone's step by step advice on what to do was pretty much cut and dry. or was it the fact that a lot of native terms were being used? can't be that: keris forum uses a lot of vernacular terms.

david, you asked me:

Quote:
"Why do you think that is? What does it tell you about the nature of magic?"

there's a couple ways I can answer these questions. one would be to just touch upon the shallow level and take it as rethorical questions with an ever slight hint of my ignorant medieval eastern belief and now i'm being enlightened by a bright western mind, which is one level of your question, or i can take it a little deeper and pretend those are legitimate questions. for the sake of some friendly banter, lemme try and answer them.

on the first one, you asked me "why do you think that is?" well, let me present to you this example: here in the western world, a person that has psychological problems either go to a psychiatrist or a psychologist. or you got a bad back, so you go see a chiropractor. now why do you think that is?

onto the next question, you asked me; " what does that tell you about the nature of magic?" dave, it tells me that if i know just the tip of it's nature, i won't be here yakking; rather, i'd be somewhere standing in line for some mega million lotto....

btw, what happen to my avatar?
Old 4th August 2007, 01:33 AM   #35
Mark

Exclamation

Quote:
lol, those secret individuals wouldn't be so much of a secret have they still have the means to answer me directly in this forum, but i believe they were banned for good? i could be wrong tho... in regards to the "privileged occult information", i was under the impression that zelbone's step by step advice on what to do was pretty much cut and dry. or was it the fact that a lot of native terms were being used? can't be that: keris forum uses a lot of vernacular terms.

david, you asked me:

there's a couple ways I can answer these questions. one would be to just touch upon the shallow level and take it as rethorical questions with an ever slight hint of my ignorant medieval eastern belief and now i'm being enlightened by a bright western mind, which is one level of your question, or i can take it a little deeper and pretend those are legitimate questions. for the sake of some friendly banter, lemme try and answer them.

on the first one, you asked me "why do you think that is?" well, let me present to you this example: here in the western world, a person that has psychological problems either go to a psychiatrist or a psychologist. or you got a bad back, so you go see a chiropractor. now why do you think that is?

onto the next question, you asked me; " what does that tell you about the nature of magic?" dave, it tells me that if i know just the tip of it's nature, i won't be here yakking; rather, i'd be somewhere standing in line for some mega million lotto....

btw, what happen to my avatar?
No one needs this forum as a "means to answer you directly." You all know each other well, and I assume have each other's e-mail addresses, if not mailing addresses and phone numbers.

The only explanation I come up with for making this comment, and indeed for the off-topic bend this thread has taken, is trolling. That is unacceptable.

People get banned here NOT because of who they are, or where they live, or in what they believe. They get banned for failing to adhere to the basic rules and guidelines of the forum. Period. We give warnings when people get out of line, but not indefinitely.

Enough silliness. Thread closed.

PS: As for the avatar, since it did not relate to edged weapons, and did not appear to be an actual picture of the member, it was changed.

Last edited by Mark; 13th May 2008 at 03:32 PM.
Closed Thread