Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd May 2006, 06:05 PM   #1
mross

Default keris oil

Does anyone know of a good source for the scented keris oil? I tried searching the forum, but keris items are too numerous and oil is rejected. I used to have a source from ebay but I have not seen anything for sale in a while and I'm running low.
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 06:18 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

Hi Mross

You can make some up yourself go to your health food store and buy a jar of coconut oil you can blend that with other scented oils and it works ok or just use some mineral oil mixed with other scented oils. If you want I can mix up a small bottle for you to test out.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 06:28 PM   #3
doecon

Some local (indonesian) Keris collectors and dealers use "Singer" oil, I have no idea where to get it, but it is supose to come from the sewing machine company. There is plenty alternatives as mentioned above, even gun oil can be used. Unfortunatly you will have to miss the nice mistik or cendana smell
doecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 07:01 PM   #4
mross

Quote:
Originally Posted by doecon
Unfortunatly you will have to miss the nice mistik or cendana smell
doecon, As a reference I just received two keris( two other received but as yet unopened, kids wife reason why) from you and the scent is what I was looking for. I had sandalwood oil but am running low.

louieblades, Thanks if I can't find the scented oil (that is safe to use, I have heard that some of the essential oils can cause rust) I will take you up on it.

I guess as a side note to this thread what are the scents used for keris? I know of sandalwood, any others? What is mistik and cendana? I am unfamiliar with the terms.
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 08:21 PM   #5
doecon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mross
doecon, As a reference I just received two keris( two other received but as yet unopened, kids wife reason why) from you and the scent is what I was looking for. I had sandalwood oil but am running low.

louieblades, Thanks if I can't find the scented oil (that is safe to use, I have heard that some of the essential oils can cause rust) I will take you up on it.

I guess as a side note to this thread what are the scents used for keris? I know of sandalwood, any others? What is mistik and cendana? I am unfamiliar with the terms.

Mistik and cendana (sandlewood oil) are mixed for the "parfume". Mistik is a bit darker, so the pamor might become blurry, but the smell is better. (less sweet indeed).

Last edited by Rick; 22nd May 2006 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Sales reference in Discussion Forum
doecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 09:05 PM   #6
nechesh

My on-line research seems to imply that kenanga and ylang-ylang are one in the same. Can anyone verify this, since ylang-ylang oil is easy to find here in the States.
Doecon, can you elaborate on Mistik? I can't find any references to it. Is it an essential oil or a mix?
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 08:09 PM   #7
nechesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by doecon
Some local (indonesian) Keris collectors and dealers use "Singer" oil, I have no idea where to get it, but it is supose to come from the sewing machine company. There is plenty alternatives as mentioned above, even gun oil can be used. Unfortunatly you will have to miss the nice mistik or cendana smell
"Singer" oil is just that, sewing machine oil that is made by Singer sewing machine co. If you use this it would be used as a base oil and scented essential oils would be added to it, so there is no reason why you would have to miss out on the cendana (sandalwood) as Doecon suggests, since it is easily obtainable. Rose and Jasimine are also sometimes used, but i prefer the less sweet varieties. What i would really like to find a source for is kenanga oil, which gives my favorite type of keris oil it's edge. If anyone knows a source for this oil please let me know.
I would stay away from coconut oil, even though it is traditionally used. It goes rancid rather easily. Mineral oil makes a very good base as does sewing machine oil. Just add your scented oils to the base oil. There are many references to keris oil on the forum, but i think it is mostly the old forum. Check out these threads:
http://www.vikingsword.com/cgi-bin/s...=37&StartAt=A:
Old 22nd May 2006, 09:20 PM   #8
jarhead

What i would really like to find a source for is kenanga oil, which gives my favorite type of keris oil it's edge. If anyone knows a source for this oil please let me know.

try this link: http://www.theherbalist.com/ylang_ylang_oil.html
jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 12:22 AM   #9
Lei Shen Dao

http://www.cimandecombat.com/loudbabycart/index2.html
http://www.murnis.com/onlineshop/incense/index.htm

Take a look here. I have never tryied them, but you can try.

My favorite is a Madurese oil from a friend in Indonesia, that is very "heavy" in perfume (the keris smells for months with just some drops) and another one from Solo that is very rare and has some very strange ingredients during it's preparation).

If you believe in the esoteric aspect, use only natural oil.
If you find pure natural fragnant oil, you can put some water and fresh jasmine flowers for some days in a bottle in order to make it less "heavy" in substance.
Lei Shen Dao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2006, 03:24 AM   #10
nechesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead
What i would really like to find a source for is kenanga oil, which gives my favorite type of keris oil it's edge. If anyone knows a source for this oil please let me know.

try this link: http://www.theherbalist.com/ylang_ylang_oil.html
Thanks Jarhead, but if kenanga is indeed ylang-ylang then i have no trouble finding it locally. Infact, i already have a bottle of the stuff in my essential oils collection.