Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 22nd September 2023, 12:29 PM   #1
AHite

Default Opinions on a Khanjar style dagger

I recently bought this knife, which I really like due to it's size and heft. I call it a Khanjar style knife, but can only guess as to it's origin. There are no markings. Overall length is 14.5 inches, or .3684 meter. The blade is very thick, with the spine at the back measuring 6.25mm. Almost feels like a Bowie type knife when you hold it. The handle looks to be wood, with a parrot head carved in it. The silver dot decorations are small round head nails. The guard is brass as is the ferrule. It does not appear to be old, but probably made within the last 50 years. There's a little black discoloration in the blade. Unfortunately some damage at the tip. The black leather sheath is nicely made, and does not show any age.

I welcome any opinions as to the origin of this knife, and possibly the time frame when it was made.
Attached Images

AHite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2023, 12:33 PM   #2
werecow

By no means an expert so take this with a huge grain of salt, but this grip strikes me as being from the Phillipines. Maybe Luzon?

Last edited by werecow; 23rd September 2023 at 12:13 AM.
werecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2023, 11:13 AM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

I'm, not getting a very strong Filipino vibe from this one. Could be wrong, but the riveted sheath does not look Filipino to me, and I don't recall seeing a blade with those two cutout areas on a Filipino blade before. The curved blade with a median ridge is also unusual. Looks more likely from a Muslim country ... Pakistan? Afghanistan? Central Asia?

I've edited your pics a bit to show the details of the hilt.
Attached Images

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2023, 11:48 AM   #4
drac2k

I thought Philippine as well when I first saw it, but now I'm wondering if it could be Anglo-Indian ?
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote