Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th July 2012, 12:28 PM   #1
christek

Smile Zulu Spear

Hello all,

I have recently obtained what I understand is a Zulu assegai - or throwing spear. The spear is a little over 130 cm long. Spear head is about 30 cm long. This weapon is amazingly light and would travel through the air quite well, it is no longer sharp, but would have been very dangerous missile when it was. I understand that 19th century Zulu warriors were brave and quite well trained, particularly in close combat; however, they soon realised that British bayonets and the men that were using them were also extremely dangerous (and well drilled) in close combat situations. Thus these weapons were widely used to distract or preferably incapacitate their foe at a distance before closing in with the deadly Iklwa - or stabbing spear. I am unsure of this items exact age, although I would suggest late 19th century- comments and/or amendments are very welcome. I am also wondering if I should attempt to clean the blade Thank you.

Kind regards
Chris.
Attached Images

christek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 08:58 AM   #2
colin henshaw

Hi Chris

Yes, this is an throwing spear from South East Africa - Zulu or one of the other tribal peoples in the area. Can you post a close-up of the thong binding near the head ? It may have been added later. The iron head secured with cow-tail.

Looks a nice old piece - congrats.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 02:22 PM   #3
christek

Hi Colin,

Thank you for your comment. Here some close up pics as requested. In one photo it would appear that under the grip (close to the spear head, I am not sure if this is simply binding or a hand grip?) there is another set of binding underneath.

Yes the material that is additionally binding the spear head appears to be slightly foreign to the original design. Although it is slightly loose, it still feels quite strong and appears to have been soaked in some type of resin

Kind regards
Chris
Attached Images

Old 13th July 2012, 06:32 PM   #4
mross

Now I'm a bit confused. I thought the assegai was a stabbing spear, ala Shaka, not a throwing spear?
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2012, 10:12 AM   #5
christek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mross
Now I'm a bit confused. I thought the assegai was a stabbing spear, ala Shaka, not a throwing spear?
Hi mross,

Thank you for your comment, an interesting point. It is quite difficult to find a consensus on the exact terminology used regarding these Zulu weapons. I admit I had only used a quick reference to Wikipedia in order to name this spear. This content is from Hugh Chisholm (ed) (1911) Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. Chisholm suggests that:"An assegai or assagai (Arabic az-zaġāyah, originally from Berber zaġāya "spear", Old French azagaie Spanish azagaya) is a pole weapon used for throwing or hurling, usually a light spear or javelin made of wood and pointed with iron. The use of various types of the assegai was spread all over Africa and it was the most common weapon there. The Zulu and other Nguni tribes of South Africa were renowned for their use of the assegai."

Quite a common suggestion in many sources is that it was indeed "Shaka of the Zulu" who invented a "shorter-style assegai with a two foot shaft and which had a larger, broader blade of one foot length" (although I would argue that this is certainly debatable). Chisholm states that "this weapon was known as the iklwa or ixwa – for the sound that was heard as it was withdrawn from the victim's wound – and was used as a stabbing weapon during mêlée attacks. The traditional assegai was not discarded but was used for a softening range attack on enemy formations before closing in for close quarters battle with the iklwa. This tactical combination originated during Shaka's military reforms."

However, a few increasingly modern books clearly state that the assegai was indeed a stabbing spear. Manfred F. r. kets De Vries (2004) in Lessons on Leadership by Terror: Finding Shaka Zulu in the Attic Edward Elgar Publishing; suggests that the two names iklwa and assegai are practically synonymous. De Vries suggests that the assegai was previously used as throwing spear, but by the era of Shaka it had evolved into a short, stout, heavy bladed stabbing spear with a long blade that was about 18 inches, and a short thick haft that probally existed before Shaka although he is generally given the credit for introducing the stabbing spear as the main weapon of the Zulu army. De Vries suggests that Shaka then named the assegai spear the iklwa for the same reasons stated above by Chisholm.

Perhaps De Vries analysis is correct. This would explain the paradoxical usage regarding the designation of assegai and iklwa in naming these weapons.

Kind regards
Chris
Old 14th July 2012, 12:22 PM   #6
thinreadline

My belief was that the term assegai ( although perhaps specific in its original Berber / Arabic usage ) has been used by Europeans as a generic word for all African spears and by the British especially for ALL types of Zulu spears . The word iklwa has been reserved only for the short stabbing spear of the Zulu . This word ( iklwa ) has long usage in SE Africa but has only fairly recently entered the English vocabulary via popular factual literature on the Zulu War of 1879 ( mainly due to Ian Knight ) .
The binding which helps to secure the tang is not typical Zulu in this example , which means either its a replacement binding or perhaps not Zulu but rather from a related ethnic group in S E Africa. Better quality spears have an intricate wire binding with or w/o a sleeve covering made from ox tail hide . In some cases , prestige status symbol spears particularly of the iklwa type belonging to chiefs are wholly covered in wire binding even to the typical swollen butt end.
I attach some examples from my own collection
Attached Images

thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2012, 02:53 PM   #7
christek

Hi Threadline,

Thank you for your comment and pics. A very interesting suggestion and some wonderful examples! The term assegai being used as a generic word for all African spears would appear to make further sense when one considers the synonymous usage in many sources, both historical and contemporary. Thank you again for showing your pieces, the wire bindings are incredibly intricate and show a wonderful craftsmanship. These pieces must have taken some time to construct, especially the fully binded iklwa. May I ask if the smaller spear in the middle is a throwing spear?

There is certainly no wire binding that I can see on my spear; just the ox tail sleeve covering and some further binding underneath that appears to be some organic material. I am only making unsourced assumptions here, however; could it be possible that, when we consider the size of the Zulu army (during the conflict with the British in the 19th century) was between 35 - 40 000 strong, that throwing spears of lesser intricacy and quality (such as this one) were perhaps manufactured in volume?

Kind regards
Chris
Old 14th July 2012, 03:07 PM   #8
thinreadline

Hi Chris
Its a pleasure .. Zulu weaponry has been an interest of mine well since I was 11 years old and went to see the film Zulu !
If you examine any late 19th / early 20th century childrens adventure stories , the word assegai is used for spears of any type in any part of Africa .
Yes the middle spear is an throwing spear .. of very good quality and craftsmanship , and yes I am sure in times of war, 'disposable' weapons such as throwing spears would certainly suffer in quality and also relate to the wealth and position of the owner .
thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2012, 04:47 PM   #9
mross

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinreadline
Hi Chris
Its a pleasure .. Zulu weaponry has been an interest of mine well since I was 11 years old and went to see the film Zulu !
If you examine any late 19th / early 20th century childrens adventure stories , the word assegai is used for spears of any type in any part of Africa .
Yes the middle spear is an throwing spear .. of very good quality and craftsmanship , and yes I am sure in times of war, 'disposable' weapons such as throwing spears would certainly suffer in quality and also relate to the wealth and position of the owner .
Intresting topic. From your pictures the middle one is the one I would associate with the throwing spear and it seems that is the case. The bottom one is the one I always thought was the assegai. Is that correct? What then is the top one? I have read the form evolved into the larger blade around the time of Shaka, or because of I suppose.
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 02:25 AM   #10
katana

I've read references that state that Zulu spearheads are forged with a shoulder at the base of the 'head' . Such as Thinreadline's example. Many 'provenanced' spears I have seen support this statement.

All the best David
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 10:06 AM   #11
collectingspears

The shoulder on the base of the blade is actually common on all Northern Nguni spear blades including; Zulu, Swazi, Shangaan, Matabele and all the Ngoni groups in Mozambique, Malawi, Zambia & Tanzania. the notch is even seen on some Southern Nguni spears. A visit to any old traditional spearmaker in these countries will confirm this fact.
Regards,
collectingspears is offline   Reply With Quote