Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th September 2009, 05:54 PM   #1
pallas

Default coronation sword of the kings of france

is there any shred of reality surrounding the claim that this weapon dates from the time of charlemange AND once belonged to him?? if not, what period does the blade date from i know it has probably been rehilted more than once, especially if it is half as old as its claimed to be..........

it has a cruciform hilt which i thought dident exist in the 700-800's...
pallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 08:39 AM   #2
broadaxe

Default "Sword of Charlemagne"

Are you talking about this sword?
http://faculty.maxwell.syr.edu/gaddi...magneSword.jpg

This one cannot have been belonged to Charlemagne, as the hilt is far later and attributed to the late Viking/Norse style of the 13th c.
broadaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 03:49 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

There are I believe at least a couple of swords attributed to Charlemagne, so I dont know which one Pallas is referring to. It is well known that swords in many cases were refurbished if they continued thier working lives as heirlooms into following generations. Swords were of course often repaired and serviced after combat as well, and often swords considered 'composite' are actually still essentially 'original' if elements corroborate in commensurate age.

The swords displayed in museums that are of regalia type status, such as these Charlemagne swords; the swords attributed to Ferdinand in Spain as well as those to 'El Cid' ; and the Holy Swords attributed to Mohammed in Topkapi, are all held to have been refurbished in much later periods.
This by no means lessens their veneration or esteem, only that they were reverently remounted for presentabiity purposes.

To me these famous swords are all the more fascinating for the subsequent history of thier movements and holding in the many years since their use as they were protectively cared for.

It seems there was some discussion and research on some famous swords, I think on the swords of El Cid and thier names.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 09:06 PM   #4
pallas

broadaxe is correct...that is the sword im referring to......there is a portrait of louis XIV weilding that very weapon somewhere........
pallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 09:17 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

There ya go
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote