Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th December 2005, 03:25 AM   #1
Federico

Into all that has been said (which I also agree with) I will throw in the caveat for modern custom jobs, the value will hold as long as the smith is remembered. In as much as their value derives its worth not so much from the quality of work, but in as much from the reputation of the smith. Ive seen many high quality pieces made from amateur to novice smiths that can blow away some of the custom jobs in quality, but due to the lack of fame of the smith demand extremely low prices. Of course smiths naturally build reputation from quality work, but there is naturally a certain level of inflation in price that does not reflect quality when someone becomes "famous". We bump ourselves into the future, where the name is no longer remembered, while the quality will be recognized, the lack of name may drop the price a couple of decimal places. How many high quality victorian era ,or whatever past repro tradition you wish, are often just dismissed just because of when it was made, vs the actual pieces quality. Into that light, throw in custom jobs of today.
Federico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2005, 03:32 AM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

That's an interesting take Federico but I've never seen a signed kris or keris ; they tend to be judged on workmanship and materials alone .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2005, 03:43 AM   #3
Federico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
That's an interesting take Federico but I've never seen a signed kris or keris ; they tend to be judged on workmanship and materials alone .
Thats the rub, particularly with ethnographic pieces and custom jobs. Ive seen some very nice custom work, but in the end the quality was not necessarily leaps and bounds above what a good smith of the day could make, but yet the price (due to the fame of the smith) was light years beyond what such a piece could garner. I remember trying to commission a plain battle kris a number years back, and almost every quote I got was in the thousands, when at the time even the most pristine kris be-decked in rare materials would not even draw the low end quotes in prices. I suppose itll depend on how the market changes between the two fields, whether one will rise or the other will fall. But since the custom jobs have so much more room to fall, and well I havent heard any big plans for a major Hollywood movie to feature kris or dha, I do not expect a major spike in prices for most ethnographic weapons, and as such well when youre on the bottom there aint much room to fall but when your on a lofty peak its a helluva drop.
Federico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2005, 04:05 AM   #4
Lee
EAAF Staff

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federico
...value derives its worth not so much from the quality of work, but in as much from the reputation of the smith...
I have heard this before, too, including privately from some very well regarded modern American bladesmiths who personally often hold some of the ethnographic work in very high esteem and are horrified by celebrated fellow smiths who are 'coasting' on their laurels or are more a product of the blade magazines than anything that came off of their anvil or grinder.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2005, 04:33 AM   #5
VANDOO
(deceased)

P.R. IS A VERY BIG PART OF BECOMING FAMOUS AND WELL KNOWN, OFTEN IT IS DONE BY SOMEONE WHO WISHES TO PROMOTE THE ARTISTS WORK USUALLY WITH THE HOPE OF MAKEING SOME MONEY HIS SELF. SOMETIMES IT COMES ABOUT WHEN THEY FIND A PATRON WITH LOTS OF CASH WHO LIKES THEIR WORK AND SHOWS IT TO HIS FRIENDS AND IT BECOMES THE IN THING TO HAVE SOMETHING MADE BY THE ARTIST. RARELY THE ARTIST HIMSELF IS ABLE TO PRACTICE HIS CRAFT AND ALSO PROMOTE HIS WORK SUCESSFULLY.
IT IS NOT UNUSUAL THAT ARTISTS OF GREATER TALENT OFTEN ARE NEVER WELL KNOWN WHILE ONES OF LESSER TALENTS BUT MORE EGO OR CONECTIONS ARE MORE SUCESSFUL. THIS APPLYS TO ALL THE ARTS FROM MUSIC TO PAINTING, SCULPTING AND EVEN SWORD AND KNIFE MAKEING. PERHAPS SWORD SMITHS NEED AGENTS TOO AND ALL THE GRIEF THAT CAN COME FROM THAT
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2005, 07:33 AM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

ON the work I have done so far (not including jewelry I have made) I have hesitated to place my mark on it to better flow into the original piece. STill struggling with the issue, but will continue to hesitate for now.

I agree: quality, quality, quality.....
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote