Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th July 2015, 10:09 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default A Massive, Heavy Indian "Cleaver" Sword

I am never shocked anymore by what sort of blade may be attached to an Indian tulwar hilt, but this one caught my eye because I it was yet another new "type" to me.

The sword is definitely combat capable, but due to its heavy weight and most especially the clearly reduced and resharpened area of the edge I am somewhat convinced it's a sacrificial sword...but that begs the question, why an extended false edge??? The idea of it perhaps being a naval weapon also comes to mind.

The blade is from homogenous steel.

The hilt here is all steel, larger than a normal tulwar hilt, faceted, and features a variety of chiseled decoration, along with an unusually large pommel ring. It is about as heavy as the blade! It has aged to black, with a lovely patina.

It is a short weapon but a monster of a sword.

I would appreciate any input about it, most especially if fellow forum members have seen something similar, or if anyone is sure of its specific use.

Dimensions:

Overall length: 26in.
Blade length: 23in.
Blade's widest point: 3in.
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2015, 12:21 AM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Man !
There's nothing delicate about this sword .
It looks pretty heavy .
Certainly looks like it would be capable of clearing a deck if it's naval .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2015, 03:36 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Interesting stuff you come up with lately Charles!

Clearly the Indo-Persian (tulwar) hilt was widely dispersed throughout India, and is found mounted on various blades, including 'kora' blades in north Bengal, and on sabres from Afghanistan through the Northwest Frontiers to the Deccan.
It is difficult to assign a region to swords with these hits regionally with any particular certainty, but we can plausibly rationalize these kinds of combinations .

Looking at this heavy blade, and its general shape, I would suggest at this point possible Moplah connections in western coastal India, Malabar.
The familiar 'choppers' have this type profile. I would point out that the Mahratta's were notably 'naval', and it would not be surprising for this to be such a weapon.

Heavy bladed 'falchions' are often taken for 'executioner' weapons, and it does seem somewhere in the tons of notes of mine there are images of similar weapons.

Looking forward to input on this, I know others can remember better some of these over the years.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2015, 04:31 AM   #4
ariel

So it were you who outbid me???

Well, at least this tulwar found himself an educated and devoted owner. Enjoy each other!

I think Jim is onto something, and this something is "Arab connection"

This blade has clear similarity with South Arabian nimcha, with its widened distal part. I think it is a naval sword, likely from Southern India.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2015, 08:32 AM   #5
kahnjar1

I know absolutely nothing about this sword, but as an observation, the fact that it has a sturdy pommel ring, would suggest that some sort of lanyard could have been attached to avoid loss of the weapon.........so could it have been used on horseback?, or, if as has been suggested, it is for naval usage, to avoid loss overboard?
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote