Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th June 2011, 06:09 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default A clay grenade

I have acquired this clay grenade over six months ago, but i was holding its posting with great hope to get a genuine plug+fuse, as they were missing in it when i purchased it.
Unfortunately things didn't function as originaly expected and i have now decided to make a plug+fuse myself. I basically detest replicas but, above all, i couldn't stand the view of the grenade without such completion, so i picked a piece of pine wood and some 10 cms. of lamp wick and made a modest approach to the real thing, as observed in post #16 of THIS THREAD by Matchlock.
I wouldn't go into repeating the details about these grenades origin, as a keen description may be read in post #31 of the abovementioned thread.
The specimen now posted, being unplugged, is naturally empty of its former powder filling. It has a 13,5 cms. diameter and weighs 2,680 Kgs.
I like the marks in it; wonder whether they are from the maker or an ID of its allocation.
As a sign of my symphaty for this thing, i will use it as my temporary avatar.

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 08:16 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

BANG, cool, I love the new avitar.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 08:41 PM   #3
Atlantia

Very cool Nando,
It looks like an evil one eyed apple!
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 12:38 AM   #4
M ELEY

Awesome, Fernando, very nice addition to the collection! I've been wanting to pick one of these up for a long time now for my nautical collection (grenades and stink-pots being popular items for boarding, you know). I think you've done a "bang-up" job ( ) on the fuse. Looks antique enough to fool the eye. I truly had to closely examine the pics to tell. Congratulations on a fine piece!
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 01:59 PM   #5
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Thank you all guys.
It is possible that the plug/fuse doesn't completely follow the original trace, but i realized that, if i made it closer to real, it could impertinently light itself and blast the grenade, with the consequent damage to the forum, caused my avatar .
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011, 06:52 PM   #6
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Congratulations, 'Nando,

I just wanted to point out this link as your grenade doubtlessly is one of the Thirty Years War pieces dug up in Ingolstadt/Bavaria in the 1970's:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...des+ingolstadt

In my glass case, 2nd image from top, on the right hand you can see two original fuses, one of them cut in half to show the powder line inside.

Best,
Michl
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote