Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th September 2014, 03:14 PM   #1
Loedjoe

Default 'Payakumbuh' sword

I have a query about the former owner of this interesting sword, which, thanks to Gavin's eagle eye in finding it, I was fortunate to be able to acquire from him; very many thanks Gavin.

Parang or ladiëng ('Parang Payakumbuh') Sumatra, West Coast, Minangkabau (Payakumbuh, Padangsche Bovenlanden), the back with decoration on the slanting part, rather like greneng on a keris blade, including five backward slanting hooks, somewhat flattened by wear, diminishing in size towards the tip. I know (so far!) of only one other example of this type of sword that also has this kind of decoration on the spine.
53 cm, blade (including base) 46.5 cm (back 1.2 cm thick at the base), hilt 12.5 cm.
It was sold at Dannenberg, Berlin, 14-15 Mar. 2014, sale K133, part of lot 1715. I am told that the former collector/owner is no longer alive - does anyone know who the owner was (who, or whose family, consigned I think a number of lots to this sale), or have any other knowledge about its previous history, please?
Attached Images

Loedjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2014, 03:37 PM   #2
Arete

nice. Is the bolster of a piece with the blade?
Arete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 11:54 AM   #3
Loedjoe

Thank you. Yes, bolster is part of the blade.
Loedjoe is offline   Reply With Quote