Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th May 2005, 04:17 PM   #1
B.I

Default collection of the highest quality

attached are an outstanding collection, and belonged to the first duke of wellington. note, the two 'europeanised' hilts that just beg discussion.
Attached Images

B.I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2005, 05:02 PM   #2
Jens Nordlunde

Thanks for showing, the pieces are very nice - I wonder what the blades were like?

Jens
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2005, 05:06 PM   #3
B.I

hi jens,
no way of knowing unfortunately, but the last sword has a long straight blade of european manafacture. not 100% sure, but seem to remember being disappointed when i saw a pic (unsheathed) in a book on the duke. i had hoped it was indian and of the same quality as the hilt.
Old 9th June 2005, 03:44 AM   #4
John

What's the name of the first Duke of Wellington? Only Duke of W I know of is the one that defeated Napolean. Interesting to note the rather nice 13 luk Naga Sasra keris.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2005, 04:34 AM   #5
Andrew

Brian, you and Jens tempt me terribly!

I'm normally a silver and ivory guy, but Indian gold-work is simply stunning. Thank you for sharing these.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2005, 04:40 AM   #6
Andrew

I assume the sword on the right is one of the Europeanized handles? Very interesting. It looks almost contemporary in it's precision. Can you describe the blade.

The sword on the right (pulowar?) looks to have a watered blade?
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2005, 12:47 PM   #7
Berkley

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
What's the name of the first Duke of Wellington? Only Duke of W I know of is the one that defeated Napolean.
Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington (1769-1852). Sent to India with the rank of Colonel, 1796; trusted advisor to his eldest brother Lord Mornington, governor-general of India. Served with distinction in campaign against Tippoo Sahib; negotiated and bargained with the Mahratta chiefs; as Major General in Mahratta War was responsible for "the general direction and control of military and political affairs in the territories of the Nizam, the Peshwa and the Mahratta states and chiefs." After the defeat of the Mahrattas, returned to military service in Europe in 1805, culminating with the defeat of Napoleon at Waterloo in 1815. Commander-in-chief of British forces, 1827; Prime Minister 1828; retired from public life, 1846; buried under the dome of St. Paul's.
And obviously someone in a unique position to acquire an unprecedented collection
Berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2005, 02:15 PM   #8
Jens Nordlunde

Andrew, you will always be welcome in the exquisite circle of collectors of Indian white arms, just let us know.

It is a pity that the early collectors of Indian weapons, did not take a bigger interest in the history of the weapons, and especially in the weapons strange to the countries from where the collectors came.

Berkley, very well researched, and very informative.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2005, 02:01 AM   #9
John

Default Arthur Wellesley.

Many thanks Berkley. Great information and especially uplifting to know a man as Wellesley had keris amongst his collection.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2005, 03:25 AM   #10
B.I

hi andrew,
i'm sorry i cant offer any more info than the images itself, as it was quite sometime that i saw this collection.
the fabulous tulwar and the katar were attributed to tipu, and the katar holds a label that states (from memory) that it was a gift from the marquis of wellesly to the duke of wellington (his brother or brother in law).
incidentley, the duke of wellingtons address was No 1, London. not bad, eh!