Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 17th April 2005, 10:01 PM   #1
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Unknown Thai Chopper

Picked this one up from Artzi in Timonium last month. Artzi purchased it in Bangkok years ago. I have not done anything to it and I don't think Artzi had touched it in many years -- basically "as is" from when he acquired it.

Quite a chopper with a heavy blade that has a concave cutting edge and is sharpened on the squared-off end as well. The edge shows evidence of hardening, as can be seen in the pictures. The spine of the blade has three brass or copper inlays, with filed crosses in between. Our on-the-ground sources in Thailand say that the designs on the blade's spine come from the northern area of the country, around Chiang Mai, and that they are purely decorative with no known meaning or significance (thanks to Dan Wilke for that information).

Additional inlays are found on the blade, with incised desigs that resemble vines and foliage. The inlays may be flowers or fruit in the overall design.

The handle is bamboo and has darkened from frequent handling in the past. Hard to judge its age, but seems to be at least 100 years old.

Artzi and I talked about whether this one was made primarily as a weapon or as something with a more utilitarian purpose. We agreed that the amount of work on the blade suggested far more than a "tool" and that it was probably a weapon (or possibly a ceremonial object). In any case it would deliver a nasty blow.

OAL = 29.5 inches Blade = 9.5 inches
Attached Images

Last edited by Ian; 17th April 2005 at 11:00 PM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2005, 10:55 PM   #2
tom hyle

Could this be considered a mak? And could it be considered a war-mak? Of course, it's not the mak whre the gooseneck is on the shaft, but on the blade. I have seen other hooked blades, on shorter handles (like a regular farm mak) and looking very farmery and mainland SE Asian (and IDd as such) that have the end sharpened, including newish ones with forged sockets; I think in all-purpose/land-clearing tool use this allows them to be used as chisel, prybar, and shovel.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2005, 01:48 AM   #3
Andrew

There were two things at Artzi's table this year the I needed to have. Charles picked up one, this was the other.

I think this is an exceptional weapon, and would definitely include it in the mak family. I agree with Tom that this may very well be a "war" mak.

Extraordinary thing, Ian. Please do let me know if you are ever inclined to part with it. I'll give it a good home.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2005, 02:46 AM   #4
Lew
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
There were two things at Artzi's table this year the I needed to have. Charles picked up one, this was the other.

I think this is an exceptional weapon, and would definitely include it in the mak family. I agree with Tom that this may very well be a "war" mak.

Extraordinary thing, Ian. Please do let me know if you are ever inclined to part with it. I'll give it a good home.
Hi Ian

Very nice and interesting chopper congrats! It seems to be quite a large maybe we can even say it's a Big Mak did it come with fries (sorry I couldn't resist the pun)

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2005, 04:33 AM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Seems akin to a mak, although the mak is a tool/weapon of the Montagnard in Laos and Vietnam. A northern Thai provenance would place it close to Laos, so some diffusion of the style might be expected into that region of Thailand.

Andrew, whenever I part with this one, you will be its next owner.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2005, 05:04 AM   #6
Andrew

The spine markings are identical to those found on many Montagnard dha, and the blade engravings (if not the inlay--those are quite unusual in my experience) similar to this dha of Mark's:

Northern Thai seems more and more likely for that one.

Montagnard dha spine markings:

Similar spine markings seem to appear on weapons from a wide geographic area, from China to the north right down through most of SEA.
Old 18th April 2005, 05:08 AM   #7
Andrew

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Andrew, whenever I part with this one, you will be its next owner.

Thanks, Ian. Do you want my shipping adress now?