Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th October 2006, 01:09 AM   #1
deker

Default Seeking references on the history of blacksmithing

I know this is kind of off-topic, but I'm helping my nephew with a school project on blacksmithing and he's having trouble finding published information on the early history of blacksmithing. I figured if anybody would have pointers it would be the folks here. Information is plentiful on colonial blacksmithing, but I'm hunting for some information on "ancient" blacksmithing in Africa, Syria, India, etc. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-d
deker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2006, 04:07 PM   #2
Jens Nordlunde

It is a bit of a problem to find something, unless you take a stack of books and find half a page in one, four lines in another and so on. There may be some books but I don’t know them, the only one telling a bit more in detail, that i know of is, Elwin Verrier: The Agaria, Humphrey Milford. Oxford University Press, 1942. Try to get it at a library, its about an Indian tribe on the Deccan plateau.

Good luck

Jens
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2006, 01:57 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

As Jens notes, it seems there are brief inclusions in many books concerning ethnographies of tribal groups, regions and various histories of countries etc. For example most references on Tuaregs in North Africa will discuss the social status and such details on the blacksmiths, although typically not procedures or forging details. In most cases, whether Africa, Europe or Asia, blacksmiths maintained the secrets of thier craft mightily and as a result were often regarded with suspicion, as masters of the 'dark arts'. the fact that they worked often in complete darkness peaked the imaginations of the superstitious and typically uneducated masses. There are interesting comments on this in Wagners "Cut and Thrust Weapons" .

The book Jens suggests is I believe very good concerning methods and Elgood discusses some of the ritual herbology etc. involved in forging metal in India. The books on Damascus have very good detail.

In studying the folklore involved in the creation of the "Bowie Knife" I found a great deal of interesting material, including the fabled use of meteoric steel in the legendary knife. Which brings me to the fantastic threads that Jens inititiated concerning both the use of meteoric steel in blades as well as that of magnetic steel . There are many posts on this forum discussing all forms of forging steel.

Plenty of material on these forums using the search feature!!

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote