Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th January 2009, 08:12 AM   #1
Rod Charters

Default Comments on Congolese Axe

Hi I have been offered the below congolese axe. Is there anyone who could give me some detailed information on where this style of axe comes from, how old, if old at all, and any other thoughts. The photos are not great but the shaft is covered with brass wire. The carving itself seems noit bad but I'm a bit concerned about what looks like a break halfway along the axe blade and possibly a weld or new section added on. Thanks.
Attached Images

Rod Charters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 08:00 PM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

VERY DIFFICULT FOR ME TO TELL ESPECIALLY FROM PICTURES BUT I GET THE FEELING THIS HAS BEEN ARTIFICIALLY AGED. THE FACT THAT THE BLADE HAS BEEN WELDED IS OBVIOUS BUT I SUPPOSE IT COULD HAVE BEEN A REPAIR TO AN OLD BLADE BUT THE WELD TOO HAS BEEN AGED. THE OTHER THING I NOTICE IS THAT THE WIRE HAS NOT BEEN BRAIDED AS IN GOOD ZULU WIRE WORK AND IS JUST WRAPPED AROUND THE SHAFT. THE WIRE IS NOT STRAIGHT BUT HAS MANY SMALL CURVES WHICH MAKES IT SEEM TO BE BRAIDED AND WOVEN. THE WOOD ALSO LOOKS LIGHT AND SOFT WHICH MAKES FOR EASY CARVING AND ANTIQUING BUT WOULD MAKE A POOR WEAPON.
I AM NOT AN EXPERT IN AFRICAN ITEMS BUT SUSPECT THIS IS NOT A GOOD OLD ONE BUT ONE MADE FOR THE TOURIST AND COLLECTOR MARKET.I WOULD NOT PAY VERY MUCH FOR IT PERSONALLY BUT IT WOULD MAKE A NICE DECOR WALL HANGER. PERHAPS SOME OF OUR MEMBERS WITH MORE EXPERIENCE IN THINGS AFRICAN CAN GIVE A MORE ACCURATE OPINION. GOOD LUCK

IT IS GOOD TO POST ON ITEMS SUCH AS THIS, AS THE POSTS ARE INFORMATIVE AND CAN HELP US TO RECOGNIZE THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE GOOD OLD AUTHENTIC AND THE NEWER LOWER QUALITY ITEMS. ITS MUCH EASIER HAVING BOTH SO COMPARISONS CAN BE MADE, PERHAPS SOMEONE HAS A PICTURE OF A GOOD OLD EXAMPLE TO ADD HERE?
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 09:26 PM   #3
Lew
(deceased)

Rod

I agree with Vandoo the axe seems to be more recent and aged probably by putting it in a smoker I would steer clear of it.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 06:16 AM   #4
Rod Charters

Thanks for these comments. Living in Kenya I tend to be suspicious of most things Congolese as there are so many fakes that pass through here. As you rightly point out anything made of light wood is suspicious. Aside from informing other forum members these comments are extremely useful for me and a learning experience. I have a number of other Congolese items, some more interesting than others that have been brought to me and I'll be post photos in the coming days. Best Regards Rod
Rod Charters is offline   Reply With Quote