Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 22nd July 2008, 09:31 AM   #1
Rod Charters

Default East African Clubs for Comment

Hi please find below some pictures of some East African clubs for comment. Is anyone familiar with these clubs as they are quite different to some of the Dinka clubs / south Sudanes clubs that have been posted previously.
1. The top picture is basically a new ebony tourist piece and no comment required.
2. The second is a Sudanese club (claimed to be Dinka) the main component also claimed to be made from buffalo horn with brass decorations made from old bullet casings. The fact that it has the brass from bullet casings suggests it was made in the last 40 years (since the 1st civil war began).
3. The third is claimed to be a Samburu club. I have no idea of the real origins nor the age.
4. The 4th is a Dinka club with an ivory head and some ivory decorations on the shaft. This I collected myself in Southern Sudan so know the origin but have no idea of the age.

Thanks Rod
Attached Images

Rod Charters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2008, 07:00 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Better pics would be nice, full pics of each stick. I wonder if they may be from further south than Dinka areas?
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 08:14 AM   #3
Rod Charters

Default East African Clubs

Hi Tim,
Thanks for response. Unfortunately I can't get better pic for the time being as they are in Australia and I'm not. I will send a better pic of another buffalo horn club in a couple of weeks. Its very possible that this comes from further south as I also also have some questions around its origins. Another possibility is that it is from the Dinka in Western Bahr el Ghazal, closer to the border with CAR and DRC but this is just a guess.
The club with the ivory sections I did however get from Dinbka people but suppose this could have been taken from another tribe at some point.
Best regards
Rod
Rod Charters is offline   Reply With Quote