Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th January 2012, 11:10 PM   #1
A. G. Maisey

Default A Request for Advice

Now I have the opportunity to ask for some advice from all you fellow students of the keris.

In late March I will arriving in Rome, and expect to spend about a month in Italy.

During my time in Italy I hope to visit Rome, the Cinque Terre, Tuscany, the Lakes Region, and Venice.

After Venice I hope to have about 10 days in which to visit other places in Europe. My schedule is reasonably flexible, and funds permitting, I should be able to delay my return to Australia if I find that necessary.

I have already received some advice from a good friend in respect of keris in several museums.

I would welcome any and all advice in respect of keris held in European museums, and if any special arrangements are necessary to view these keris.

My very particular interest is keris which entered Europe during the early period of contact with South East Asia, and most especially with Jawa.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 12:56 AM   #2
Gavin Nugent

Hi Alan,

You might find this link of interest if you have not viewed it already.

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ht=hidden+room

Although Brian is not active on the forum anymore, perhaps a well placed intermail PM or Mail can offer insight on how to get in there. Other Members are in touch with Brian too.

Best

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 03:44 AM   #3
A. G. Maisey

Thank you Gav.

Yes, I have noted that thread, have noted the museum concerned and have sent an email to Brian through this Forum.
Old 15th January 2012, 10:25 AM   #4
pakana

Hi Alan,

If your schedule and financials are ok, I will be happy to welcome you in Athens, and show you around (I'm afraid not much to see about keris in Greece, although there are some pieces in War Museum of Athens).

Regards

George
pakana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 10:49 AM   #5
A. G. Maisey

Thank you very much for your kind offer George, but at present I doubt that I can squeeze Greece into the itinerary.

In fact, I believe my brother is currently living in one of the Greek islands, but I will not be visiting him either.

If things change, I'll let you know.
Old 16th January 2012, 06:16 PM   #6
klewang

If you will be visiting Holland than there are of course the Tropenmuseum in Amsterdam and the Volkenkundig Museum in Leiden. In Delft, Museum Nusantara could be interesting. I have not visited this museum after its re-opening last year, but I’m pretty sure you will find keris on display there. Only a short walk away from Nusantara you can visit the Legermuseum (Army museum) which has loads of weapons on display, including some keris . The below (poor quality) pics are taken there.
Attached Images

klewang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 08:40 PM   #7
A. G. Maisey

Thank you for your suggestions, Klewang.

I have noted and placed on file.
Old 16th January 2012, 08:57 PM   #8
Sajen

Hello Alan,

I think that the collection of the "Museum für Völkerkunde Dresden" is very good and interesting. Unfortunately I never have been there (it's far away from my home city). Here is a link (german language) but there is as well a contact given in down so you can write a mail to Mrs. Martin to get some informations.

http://www.voelkerkunde-dresden.de/index.php?id=185

Best regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 09:12 PM   #9
A. G. Maisey

Thank you Detlef, yes, Dresden is on the list.
Old 18th January 2012, 12:16 AM   #10
GIO

As to the Leiden museum, I have been there twice, in 1985 (no keris exhibited because of a re-arrangement of the collections), and in 2001.
The second time the museum was wonderfully restored, but unfortunately only few keris were barely visible (the full keris collection is composed of hundreds of pieces). Conclusion: better to refer to the various books showing much more specimens, often with very good photos.

The Tropenmuseum, in Amsterdam, which also has a big keris collection has only five or six pieces exhibited.... A deception.
GIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 01:33 AM   #11
A. G. Maisey

Yes, that seems to be general with most museums.

I do know a retired curator of the Tropen Museum quite well, so I'm hoping I might get a foot in the door there.
Old 19th January 2012, 11:28 AM   #12
GIO

Hi Alan,
If you wish to take photographs or have access to the hidden kris collection in the Oriental Museum in Venice (Ca' Pesaro), you can ask to the director, Mrs Fiorella Spadavecchia (she once said she would have granted me the permission to take pics on demand)
Her office is far from the museum, in S. Marco square, on the right side facing the church, but I don't remember the number. You can ask the right address to the reception or to the caretakers of the museum.
GIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 02:18 PM   #13
Marcokeris

In Florence there is a nice collection (Modigliani collection) in the "The National Museum of Antropology and Ethnology". But there are not keris , only tribal art and weapons about Batak, Nias, Engano and Mentawai.
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 08:35 PM   #14
A. G. Maisey

Thank you Gio.

I know about the Oriental Museum, but I have not yet firmed up on the dates I will be in Venice. As soon as I do, I will get in touch with Mrs. Spadavecchia.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Thank you Marco.

In fact, at the Museo Bargallo in Florence there are three exceptionally important keris. All entered Europe prior to 1650, I think all were Medici possessions. I will be staying close to Florence, and I have already arranged a meeting with the Vice Director of Museo Bargallo.

Unlike some museums I have dealt with, the people from this museum got back to me immediately, and my request to view was granted without hesitation and in fact quite warmly. It is a true pleasure to find a museum that relates to the public as if they were people, not numbers through the door.

I will also follow up on your suggestion, and I thank you for it.
Old 20th January 2012, 05:09 PM   #15
Jean

Hello Alan,
No interesting kris museum in France to my best knowledge but there are several in Switzerland, especially the Museum Rietberg in Zurich and the Bernisches Historiches Museum in Berne.
And of course I would expect you to visit the British Museum and Victoria & Albert Museum in London if you can.
In all cases you should contact the curators for getting a private visit of the best pieces in stock, as those displayed are often quite limited.
Best wishes and regards
Jean
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2012, 08:06 PM   #16
A. G. Maisey

Thanks for that Jean.

I very much doubt that I will be able to make it to UK, but Switzerland might be a possibility.

However, I'm not just interested in looking at "keris", my interest is early, documented keris.

I've seen and handled a very great number of very fine keris during my life, and although this is something I enjoy, it does really does not do all that much for me any more. What I need is the knowledge that I can gain from close examination of very early pieces that are still in very good condition. This would be like having a time machine, and I'm sure I can learn much from such pieces.