Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th December 2009, 07:52 AM   #1
A. G. Maisey

Default Papua New Guinea Culture & Society

This is a request for information.

Is there anybody who has a high level of knowledge in the area of Papua New Guinea Society and Culture who would be willing to provide me with guidance in this area?

I would be grateful for knowledge of the personal experience type, or for recommendations in respect of reading material.

Thanks,

Alan.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 07:09 PM   #2
klewang

Hello,

You may find this site interesting http://www.papuaerfgoed.org/ , its available in English also.

Regards
klewang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 07:26 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

I have been recommended-

"New Guinea Art Masterpieces Of The Jolika Collection From Marcia and John"

This is a mighty tome which I could never afford. However a book I found more useful than any "ART" focused publication is "Shields of Melanesia" Hawaii university press. There is a great deal of art with many of the shields and some cultural background. I found this book a great help in getting mind round how big PNG is and how incredibly diverse the groupings of people and customs are. The variation of shields like languages help illustrate to me how leaving your village boundary was a great risk which would most likely lead to death and being eaten. This was such an understood outcome that trade of metal although abundant in the Pacific region never travelled into the interior even in the 20th century. I am trying to build knowledge on the region by getting as many books as I can find cheaply and making cross references. I am going to the Berlin Ethnographic Museum in the new year. There is nothing like seeing the stuff for real.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 08:36 PM   #4
Sajen

Hello Alan,

I think that is very, very difficult since there are many, many different cultures in New Guinea. A very good adoption is the book from the american collector Anthony JP Meyer, Oceanic Art. Every main culture have a short description and it is shown the style by items from the author.
The book have 640 pages and have a balance from two kg but it is just a adoption.

Best,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 09:47 PM   #5
fearn

Hi Alan,

I've got to agree: it's sort of like asking someone to provide a detailed guide to the culture of Java and Sumatra. New Guinea considered probably the most linguistically diverse region in the world, so there isn't one culture. From what I've read, the major problem the PNG government is currently facing is trying to get this mass of independent humanity to come together into a single national identity.

Couple of random books:

Anthony Meyer's Oceanic Art turned out to be a fairly interesting tome that people were selling cheap last year. It's somewhat useful for identifying artistic motifs and such. (edit: I agree with Detlef. Our posts came out simultaneously)

If you're after anecdotes, Throwim Way Leg is a great read.

If you have some more specific questions, probably someone will be able to provide more focused help.

Best,

F

Last edited by fearn; 9th December 2009 at 10:05 PM.
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 09:48 PM   #6
JeffS

Funny that I just saw this thread, I just got back from a meeting with an anthropologist where we discussed PNG culture in preparation for some field work that I will be doing there this spring and summer. I've not been there so claim no understanding as of yet, but if you let me know what aspects of PNG society and culture interest you, I would be happy to consult with this anthropologist and get recommendations of papers. "Throwim Way Leg: Tree-Kangaroos, Possums, and Penis Gourds-On the Track of Unknown Mammals in Wildest New Guinea" by Tim Flannery is fun read and may give you some insight, the focus is on biology but it is framed in a cultural context.
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 11:42 PM   #7
A. G. Maisey

I thank all of you for your responses and advice.

My query in this matter is not in any way related to weaponry, nor to art.

I have found myself in a position where I will be called upon to provide advice to somebody working at a high level within PNG government.

I have no knowledge of the mores and standards which apply with present day PNG society, nor does my client. Yes, I understand very well the diversity of tribal societies that are spread across PNG, and I do not need to understand in any depth this tribal diversity. What I do need to understand is the acceptable and non-acceptable ways for a person within modern PNG society to behave.

For instance, is direct eye contact to be avoided?

Is it adviseable to speak of oneself in the third person?

Should a woman invariably take second place in any discussion, no matter what her percieved societal position may be?

What is considered to be "personal space", ie, how close can a person stand to another person before it is felt that the personal space of one of those people has been compromised?

Does this vary with the sexes?

How is the physical act of touching another person used in normal conversation, the various types of touch, duration of touch, place of touch?

Major forms of body language?

Where is the line between "facilitation" and "corruption"?

Where is the line between "advice" and "direction"?

and so on, and so on, and so on.

Probably what I need are recommendations for anthropological texts or papers produced during the last 40 years or so, or even better, direct conversation with somebody from outside PNG society who has lived there during the recent past.

Dizos, I rather feel that you may be in a position where you could supply me with some leads. I'll followup on the Tim Flannery recommendation, he's always easy to read and usually entertaining.

Again I thank you all for your assistance.

Alan.
Old 10th December 2009, 12:27 AM   #8
fearn

Hi Alan,

The couple of useful things to find out are:

a) the tribal affiliation of the PNG officials (religion will help too--they're probably Christian, but knowing whether they're Catholic, Baptist, or 7th Day Adventist will help)

b) the mores of Port Moresby and the government. In my limited reading, Port Moresby is a melting pot with some interesting social issues, and high PNG government types are often educated abroad as well. Since this is the environment you're working in, it's probably worth focusing on it.

I think Dizos probably has the good insights. It might also be worth seeing what you can learn from the missionary websites as well.
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 05:38 PM   #9
JeffS

PM sent!
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2009, 09:28 PM   #10
A. G. Maisey

Thanks Jeff

--- Alan.