Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th January 2008, 08:40 PM   #1
Sikh_soldier

Default Zulfikar sold on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA:IT&ih=002

I read on this forum that these swords are impractical how come a senior fellow member has purchased at such a high price?

Not a good example for us young'uns ..........or is it?
Sikh_soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 09:48 PM   #2
dennee

I think that most of us would be buying few swords if only for their practicality (there is, however, practicality in a good profit)! As for practicality once upon a time, many historical weapon forms are impractical, or at least not as efficient as they might be, for a variety of reasons. Some of these, as early examples, are quite valuable--at least to Artzi!! But that does not convey significance upon the modern reproductions.
dennee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2008, 11:13 PM   #3
Sikh_soldier

Lightbulb

Thank you Dennee,

That makes a lot of sense, I had been previously put off in the past due to the criticism of such pieces, whilst all along I do love these type of pieces for their Audacious and flamboyant design.

I had just thought that although nice to look at they were not a good investment.
Old 10th January 2008, 01:40 AM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Swords of this form would be considered relatively scarce, and though not 'practical' from the usual combat use perspective, have obvious profound cultural and traditional significance. The weapon is quite well described, contrary to the flights of fancy often seen in auction descriptions, and if Artzi took it at this price I think we can be confident it is worth at least that amount if not more.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 03:16 AM   #5
Emanuel

It may be impractical, but it's a beauty and a wootz beauty at that. I noticed that the market price of wootz blades has gone up in the past year. I'm thinking folks look to the collector's amrket for sound/safe investment.

Regards,
Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 03:33 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo
It may be impractical, but it's a beauty and a wootz beauty at that. I noticed that the market price of wootz blades has gone up in the past year. I'm thinking folks look to the collector's amrket for sound/safe investment.

Regards,
Emanuel
The way the stock market and economy has been looking here in the U.S. lately...absolutely!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 09:23 AM   #7
ALEX

Many beautiful and prized swords are "impractical" and made for ceremonial, religious, art, etc purposes. This one is very nice and rare form sword, depicted in many cataloques and books. Artzi is definitely knows what he's doing! Congratulations to him.
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 12:25 PM   #8
Sikh_soldier

Lightbulb

Thank you to everyone for your comments, I understand now that other factors such as symbolic, religous etc are also considered when purchasing.

I would like to make clear that I did not mean to offend the buyer,
I recognised and value his experience and expertise, and knew immediately that it must be worth the price or even more.

Its just that I am new to collecting and was trying to understand whether I should try to include such pieces in my collection, I have always liked bespoke pieces like this and indeed purchased a strange one last year although it is no where near the quality of this piece (pics added), I was going to post it on the forum but it was already being discussed everyone was highly critical of it due to its practicality (balance etc) so I saved myself the embarassement and buried my head in the sand

Regards
Bally
Attached Images

Old 10th January 2008, 02:16 PM   #9
Pukka Bundook

Very interesting looking piece, Bally......But don't ask me to make a scabbard for it!!!!!

Thank you for showing it!.

Richard..
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 03:33 PM   #10
Jens Nordlunde

The easy part is to make the scabbard, the hard part would be to get it out of the scabbard.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 03:48 PM   #11
Richard Furrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Nordlunde
The easy part is to make the scabbard, the hard part would be to get it out of the scabbard.
Jens,
I disagree...the hard part is making all those little crescent cuts in the edge with a file and getting them even.

Ric
Richard Furrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2008, 04:12 PM   #12
Jens Nordlunde

Ric

Yes, I should have thought of that.

Jens
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2008, 11:29 PM   #13
Sikh_soldier

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukka Bundook
Very interesting looking piece, Bally......But don't ask me to make a scabbard for it!!!!!

Thank you for showing it!.

Richard..

Hmmm, now that you mention it Richard, I may have a few pieces that would love to be worked on by a master scabbard maker!