Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th April 2013, 10:50 AM   #1
Tim Simmons

Thumbs up Gulf of Papua spirit board

This is one of three new pieces in transit for my collection. It has yet to arrive. Before people say what has this to do with weapons and war. Read this link, well may take a few moments to down load-

http://www.michaelhamson.com/catalog...son2010_LR.pdf

You will find it has every thing to do with such a hazardous activity as war. The pictures are not good but there are signs of hope. It appears to have been largely carved with a stone adze on the front, judging by the scalloped cut marks. Also as mentioned in the link the prominent nose could indicate that there may be some age to the board. 110cm in length. I will add better pictures if it turns out to be worth the trouble.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 04:57 PM   #2
Tim Simmons

Searching for a type I have found this example from "Coaxing the Spirits to Dance, Hood museum of art Dartmouth College NH. Clearly my example is not as old but follows the same format with three heads, a similar body and navel.
Attached Images

Old 10th April 2013, 05:51 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

Additional cool information.

http://anthro.palomar.edu/change/change_4.htm
Old 11th April 2013, 04:14 AM   #4
manteris1

hi tim, nice book and board.......................jimmy
manteris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2013, 04:28 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

This turned out to be rubbish. I will use it for fire wood. However had it been right It would have been the best buy ever. You have to stick your neck out sometimes.
Old 12th April 2013, 05:08 PM   #6
laEspadaAncha

Hi Tim,

Sorry to hear the board turned out to be less than hoped for, but I nonetheless wanted to thank you for posting that link - I run into PNG art from time to time, and it is a great resource - thanks...

Cheers,

Chris
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2013, 05:11 PM   #7
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

SOMETIMES AN ITEM TURNS OUT TO BE A RECENT WELL DONE NATIVE WOOD CARVING INSTEAD OF THE GOOD AUTHENTIC ANTIQUE. ITS ESPECIALLY DIFFICULT TO TELL ON EBAY OR JUST GOING BY PICTURES. WHILE SUCH ITEMS DON'T FIT INTO OUR COLLECTIONS WITH THE GOOD OLD STUFF THEY ARE SOMETIMES NEAT DECORATOR ITEMS AND IF THE PRICE IS RIGHT NOT A BAD DEAL. WE ALL HAVE SUCH ITEMS SOME WHICH ARE SO BAD WE MUST BURY THEM IN THE BACKYARD AFTER DARK IN SHAME.
OTHERS NOT WHAT WE WANTED BUT ACCEPTABLE DECORATIVE ETHINOGRAPHIC ART MADE IN THE AREA BY THE GROUPS WHO MADE THE GOOD OLD ONES IN THE PAST. YOUR ITEM SEEMS TO FALL INTO THE LATTER CATEGORY UNLESS IT SAYS MADE IN CHINA, PAKESTAN OR INDIA ON THE BACK.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote