Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th October 2005, 04:47 AM   #1
jmings

Question Automatically Junk?

Am I correct in the asssumption that any blade that is engraved "Made in India" is without redeeming value?

The reason I ask is that if it is true then I plan on doing some re-hilting on some of then and possibly re-shaping the blades.

Thank you in advance.
jmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2005, 05:03 AM   #2
ariel

As they say about certain surgical procedured, useless but not... worthless .
From the collector's point of view, these blade have no value, but one can occasionally sell them on e-bay for a couple of bucks.
Do not invest a penny into re-hilting job.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2005, 07:28 PM   #3
derek

Hi,

Just another point of view: some of the better quality kukris I have seen are marked "Tempered Steel, Made in India". Well-made, well-tempered, and quite collectible.

I would agree that often the "made in India" stamp is a hallmark of poorer quality, but not always!

-d
derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2005, 10:27 PM   #4
Miyamoto

I think that the mark "made in india" or "made in anything else" is a warranty that the dagger is from recent production... Collectors usually appreciate antique blades and refer to such pieces as crap , regardeless of qualitiy... Just my point of view..

I've bought once on ebay a beautifull looking brass fitted kindjal. It looked verry old and beautifull from the pictures. When I recived it, I was a little surprised that there was a stylisized made in Syria on the scabbard and the thig looked still pristine if you looked it from the right distance...
Miyamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2005, 01:08 AM   #5
JPSF

Kukris may be the exception. There are some well made post 1947 pieces that are marked Best Steel, Tempered Steel, or just Tempered that also say Made in India or just India and are good solid examples. Seeing the word INDIA with the British acceptance mark of the "broad arrow" is always a fake mark.
JPSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2005, 02:32 AM   #6
ham

Students have reported a recurring problem in refitting tourist-grade Made In India blades-- tulwars generally-- this is that the steel is not heat-treated. As a result they tend to be very thick, so that stock removal and shaping require a great deal of work. Despite this, unless treated before mounting, they will not generally hold an edge.

Ham
ham is offline   Reply With Quote