Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 16th December 2013, 04:34 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default Interesting Indonesian Knife...Siraui or Not??

At first glance I thought this knife was a siraui, but it clearly is meant to be held edge down, even though it fits into the scabbard very similar to the way a siraui would.

The hilt is horn, as is the wrangka, with the remainder of the scabbard being carved wood with a bone chape and silver bands.

Note also the unique brass bolster.

It has seen age and wear, but I don't think it's more than 50 or so years old. It measures 14in. overall, with a 7in. blade.
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2013, 06:38 PM   #2
Sajen

Hello Charles,

I have bid as well by this auction, nice knife! Like I have written in this thread: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=siraui I am nearly sure that this knifes with "siraui" wrong labeled and very inclined that this are pure utility knifes while siraui have a scabbard like the two shown examples in Alberts book, see pictures. And like Albert stated have sirauis blades with blood channels.

Regards,

Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 12:16 AM   #3
CharlesS

Sajen,

Thanks for your input. This has every bit the look and feel of a utility knife. Nonetheless, isn't it interesting how decorated these are for such duty!!?? BTW, your examples are very, very nice!
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 06:42 PM   #4
Sajen

Hello Charles,

agree, the look and feel is like a utilty knife and they are sometimes very fancy and decorated and I like them very much! And I see a lot of similarities with the sangi knives from the Bagobo, they comes sometimes also very fancy.

And you have also some very nice examples: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=siraui

Regards,

Detlef

Last edited by Sajen; 19th December 2013 at 01:37 AM.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2013, 08:56 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Hello Charles,

I have bid as well by this auction, nice knife! Like I have written in this thread: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=siraui I am nearly sure that this knifes with "siraui" wrong labeled and very inclined that this are pure utility knifes while siraui have a scabbard like the two shown examples in Alberts book, see pictures. And like Albert stated have sirauis blades with blood channels.

Regards,

Detlef
We have had this discussion about the differences between what appear to be two completely different knives called "siraui" before. Frankly i am still unsure if these more obviously utilitarian knives are legitimately called "siraui" of not. The only source that i have seen on the grooved version being called so in Albert's book. Anybody have other sources?
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=siraui
David is offline   Reply With Quote