Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 21st May 2011, 07:22 PM   #1
rickystl

Default Powder Flask for Identification

Here's some photos of a powder flask I aquired a while back. Does anyone have a guess as to it origin? My guess was Southeast Asian. But I really have no idea. The flask is made of brass with silver (?) decoration. Heavy duty, made to be used, not a tourist item. The leather straps are well over 100 years old. Any help most appreciated. Rick.
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 04:08 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

I may be wrong but I'm not thinking SE Asia, but Middle East due to the way some of the design was made. Seen on a lot of pieces from region around Syria and Lebanon, though perhaps the same type of chisel technique may have been used in Morocco as well (note the way the flower on back of the flask was made).
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 04:12 AM   #3
kahnjar1

I also think Middle East rather than Asia. Are we agreed that it is in fact a POWDER flask.......note the screw top. Pics do not show depth (front to back) ......could it be for some sort of liquid?
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 05:39 AM   #4
Gavin Nugent

I'd guess it being Turkish or surrounds, so far as Ottoman influenced regions of Morocco as this silver over brass is seen on a number of Koumaya.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 04:26 PM   #5
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
I also think Middle East rather than Asia. Are we agreed that it is in fact a POWDER flask.......note the screw top. Pics do not show depth (front to back) ......could it be for some sort of liquid?
I should have posted a side view. Here it is. It's definately a powder flask. The tip threads into a larger opening which would be used as a fill point for the powder. The tip of the smaller piece - has a smaller opening - for loading. It's missing the stopper.
I agree with others here. Another look and Turkish or maybe Moroccan seems like a better guess. Again, thanks for your comments. Rick.
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote