Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 4th August 2014, 11:13 PM   #1
KeithJ

Default Indo-Persian Pesh Kabz Dagger

An Indo-Persian Pesh Kabz dagger, with a jade and mother-of pearl handle. The grain on the blade is etched to simulate Damascus steel (Faux Wootz). Circa 1900-1920, probably from the Afghanistan/Pakistan region.
Attached Images

KeithJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 10:20 AM   #2
Aleksey

Hi, KeithJ!

The knife is good one. Once upon a time I had the similar knife. The quality is good, the design is nice.

Good addition to the collection at all!
Aleksey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 02:58 PM   #3
Jens Nordlunde

Keith,
You now and then see these daggers, and they are from the NW region. They were made in different sizes, and I think I have one in one of my books from late 19th century - but I have not been able to find it yet.
Jens
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 04:54 PM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithJ
An Indo-Persian Pesh Kabz dagger, with a jade and mother-of pearl handle. The grain on the blade is etched to simulate Damascus steel (Faux Wootz). Circa 1900-1920, probably from the Afghanistan/Pakistan region.
Hi Keith:

Yes, you're right that these are from the late 19th-early 20th Century. As far as I know, most (if not all) were made in northern India specifically for European visitors. These were common mementos for British travelers to take home from the pride of the British Empire.

I have several and they come in various shapes and sizes, mostly 7-12 inches in length. They are well made and well finished small- to medium-sized, attractive looking knives and in the last ten years their perceived value has gone up considerably.

They typically come in rather plain leather sheaths that have often been lost.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 06:28 PM   #5
CharlesS

Very, very rarely these can be found with Indian cystalline damascus wootz blades....those are real gems.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 12:08 AM   #6
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS
Very, very rarely these can be found with Indian cystalline damascus wootz blades....those are real gems.
I would expect the similar type without the MOP but with Jadite grip slabs and silver dressed sheath in Moser collection to be one such example Charles.

There is a wide variety of these dagger types, Karuds & Khybers with varying degrees of MOP and Jadite combinations and styles that all appear to have come from a central manufacturing centre.

The Acid etching patterns are seen on many bird head daggers, Khanda, Tulwar, Tegha as well...no doubt other patterns I have not seen either.

I'd expect, due to the typical high quality of the steel used in blades and the very sharp edges they have and can take that many other fine useable weapons of specific one off orders came through these centres too.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 12:49 AM   #7
CharlesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwordsAntiqueWeapons
I would expect the similar type without the MOP but with Jadite grip slabs and silver dressed sheath in Moser collection to be one such example Charles.

Yes, Gavin, I believe the two( and only 2) I have seen with wootz were the jadeite types you mentioned.

This is NOT one of the two I was thinking of, but the idea is the same, and certainly the manufacture would have been during about the same time:

http://www.oriental-arms.com/item.php?id=5664
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2014, 05:16 PM   #8
kronckew

i have one of these with a plain leather sheath. about an 8in. blade. haven't dared to etch it & lose the patina. also have a very similar pesh with a dark wood grip & a more elaborate scabbard
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 6th August 2014 at 05:27 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2017, 07:11 PM   #9
spiritualwarrior1978

Manage to shirk like the image in my phone.... but all of these came with scabbards/cases the large khanjar was a very nice green covered case with metal work to it.
Attached Images

spiritualwarrior1978 is offline   Reply With Quote