Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 21st April 2005, 07:32 PM   #1
philkid

Default Need help on what type this sword is!!!

Hi Guys,

Since you seem to know a lot about swords, can you tell me what type of sword this is. The brass hilt and the copper(am I right with this?) handguard in my opinion is new. Or is the whole sword a reproduction? Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 21st April 2005, 08:09 PM   #2
ariel

It looks like Parang Nabur from the Vizayas....
I am sure there is a special name for it, but our "Vizayan" members prefer to keep their classification to themselves so that we, mere mortals, look stupid and ask for thier opinion
Old 21st April 2005, 09:26 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

Actually, I think it is Moro based on the specific okir motif on the blade, but is very recent and for the market.
Old 22nd April 2005, 12:47 AM   #4
Federico

I agree with Battara, the okir work looks very much like recent okir work being done in Maranao areas. Also the scabbard tip reminds me of some more recent Maranao scabbards (though I suppose it could also remind me of older garab/talibong scabbards as well). The blade kinda reminds me of a Chinese blade, but then the guard reminds me of Visayas. Hmmm... However, I think Ill have to scratch my head a bit, and say I dunno for the type of sword.
Old 22nd April 2005, 03:00 AM   #5
philkid

Actually I bought it also from a Maranao. But what bothers me is the pommel. Moro doesn't have a pommel like these on their swords. I guess it is Visayan then. As you can see on the picture this sword has been used. It once belonged to a "barabgay tanod" in Lanao. A barangay tanod is a local civilian enforcer. The blade on this sword is solidly built and I think it is not made as tourist sword. I guess it is a Visayan sword spiced up with Maranao flavor.
Thanks again guys.
Old 22nd April 2005, 06:56 AM   #6
Federico

Quote:
Originally Posted by philkid
Actually I bought it also from a Maranao. But what bothers me is the pommel. Moro doesn't have a pommel like these on their swords. I guess it is Visayan then. As you can see on the picture this sword has been used. It once belonged to a "barabgay tanod" in Lanao. A barangay tanod is a local civilian enforcer. The blade on this sword is solidly built and I think it is not made as tourist sword. I guess it is a Visayan sword spiced up with Maranao flavor.
Thanks again guys.
I know there have been a lot (and that is an understatement) of Visayan immigrants to Moroland in the past 100 years, could perhaps that be part of the reason for the fusion of motif's?
Old 22nd April 2005, 10:18 PM   #7
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Some time ago, way back on the old forum, I posted a barung variant with similar "naga-like" hilt and carved scabbard. That one came from an antique store in Manila with a tag indicating Lanao del Sur as the area of manufacture. I'm inclined to think this one has a similar origin. Will try to post pictures of mine this wekend.

I agree with the thought that this one dates from the late 20th C. but it sems to have been well made -- the blade may have a hardened edge which may show better by etching it.

Ian.
Old 23rd April 2005, 05:35 PM   #8
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Pictures of another odd "Moro" sword

Here are pictures of the one I mentioned yestrday. The okir work on the scabbard is similar to okir work on the blade above, and the "naga" hilt is well defined. The scabbard also has a similar "fish tail" tip and drilled piece of wood for a cord to suspend the scabbard from the waist.

As I mentioned before, this one comes from Lanao del Sur in the heart of Maranao country. It was probably 10-20 years ago -- I picked it up in the mid-1990s.

Ian.

Closed Thread