Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 17th May 2012, 06:39 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default A cup hilt rapier

I am picking up this one next Staurday.
The legend VIVA PORTUGAL in the blade has generally appeared in swords by the end of Spanish domination (1580-1640), when the first steps for Restoratation of Independence took place. This sword may therefore be dated second half XVII century.
The knuckle guard not being fixed to the pommel would mean this is a civilian weapon ... as also the type of blade, within the rapier classification, with its 23 m/m width.
The quillon arms being fixed to the cup by screws would be more of Spanish taste; Portuguese are generally welded to the cup rim.
The pierced/chiseled dust guard (guarda polvo=guarda pó) is a bit broken, but still resists.
The grip wiring is a replacement ... i ignore (yet) what else.
I shall take better defined pictures when i bring it home.
Any comments will be welcome.

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 08:31 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

As you might well expect Fernando, I am in agony with envy !! This is a beauty. Thank you for adding the nuances on the hilt construction characteristics.
I am curious on the pommel type, I know I could consult Norman, but want to know from your experience...is there any particular chronological or regional classification for these. Some are very flat, while some have an almost urn shape to even spherical.
The blade seems consistant with rapier blades seen on Spanish rapiers of c.1680s and it seems many were made in Solingen (not saying this one is German though it seems possible as they were adept at adding these inscriptions).

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2012, 09:58 AM   #3
M ELEY

Ditto on the envy part, my friend! One of these days, I've got to find that 'loose back window to the museum' you seem to be robbing these days-

Just curious...do you ever remove modern hilt wrapping to inspect the wood core beneath? Replace it with period or very old wire? I've got a smallsword with modern wire that I've considered stripping.

Mark
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 12:56 AM   #4
Chris Evans

Fernando,

Congratulations - What a beauty!

Once it arrives, would it be possible to describe how the various portions of the blade were sharpened, weight, point of balance (from quillons) and other vital stats?

Cheers
Chris
Chris Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 02:33 PM   #5
fernando

Thank you all guys for the nice words.
I am taking some time to post technical data as, instead of one sword, i ended up acquiring two of them and have not yet installed nor took all measurements and pictures.
Coming back to the one discussed here, Jim, i don't feel comfortable associating the pommel with the examples shown by Norman; i was actualy expecting you to do that for me ... and all interested . It is a plain pommel, like most seen in cup hilt swords. No grooves, no decoration, just as you see it in the pictures which i will try, as said, improve soon.
I can not deny the blade being from Solingen. But i beleive the words VIVA PORTUGAL were applied in Portugal and not a 'marketing' detail made by the (German?) sword maker. Particularly the words are engraved (punched) inside the short blade grooves, which they fully occupy, whereas one can discern some faded decoration on the edges, with the same extension as the grooves.
So sorry Mark. The museum guard made me swear i don't transmit the loose window secret; i would be loosing bat and ball.
I am not the right guy to tell you how and what should be done with wire re-wraping; don't have those skills. Eventually my grips have either original wiring or very well executed re-wiring; no need for adventures. I guess that, if the recent wiring is a decent work, there are easy ways to put some age on them; there are members here whom know what to do ... be it iron, brass or copper.
Thank you for coming in Chris. I just took a little time to check that the blade has both sides progressively sharpened (not razor) in all extension, except for the tiny forte.
The point of balance is 11 cms from quillons, the blade length is 83 cms. with a width of 23 m/m, as already stated. The quillons extension is 30 cms. The cup bowl measures 14 cms. The sword weighs 865 grams.
Old 20th May 2012, 05:10 PM   #6
fernando

Some (maybe not) better pictures .
Such a pity that, as i feared, one of the beautiful extensions that hold the dust guard washer is missing

Attached Images