Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 21st April 2012, 07:15 PM   #1
rickystl

Default Shield for I.D.

I'm more into collecting Ethno guns vs the blades and armour. But by accident I ran across this shield and was able to purchase it for a song. So I couldn't resist.
I believe this is an Indian hyde shield? Maybe early to mid 19th Century? Amazingly it's only slightly bent. Still retains some of it's gold decoration (what's that name used to describe the gold?). Still has it's hand pad on the back. One ring is missing, but two rinks still have the remains of the leather straps.
Any help identifing this shield most appreciated. Thought this might look good on the wall with the armoury style tulwar. Thanks again for looking. Rick.
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 02:38 AM   #2
Stan S.

Nice shield. Most definetely Indian as opposed to being Persian or Ottoman. Can't really tell from pictures (I am looking them up on my IPhone) but it looks like hardened leather rather than metal. Shame that the 4 bosses are in bad condition but these could be swaped if you happen to find another similar shield with bosses in better shape.
Stan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 10:33 AM   #3
David R

Very nice Indian "Dhal". The bosses look a little plain for the shield, but probably looked much better when they were new and bright. If they are original to the shield, I would keep them. The damage is part of their history.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 01:11 PM   #4
rickystl

Thanks guys for your input. Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote