Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th August 2006, 04:14 AM   #1
pogoman

Default Dual Swords

Hi,

I'm pretty new to the forums here, but I've always been fascinated by all kinds of swords and swordplay. I was wondering if anyone here knew of any culture or time period during which some sort of dual-sword fighting was used? I ask simply because I can't find any resource on the subject anywhere, and while I'm quite aware that it's a pretty uncommon style of fighting there must be someone, SOMERWHERE who used it.

Thanks!
pogoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2006, 04:22 AM   #2
Titus Pullo

I know the Siamese (Thai) fight with dual swords, and they are pretty good at it, too. It may look hard, but Thai fighting styles are nothing but simple, which is very useful when you are fighting in a life and dead situation. Check out this site! http://www.krabikrabong.it/ You will find that in Thai fighting style, not only do you develop your skill, but you have to develop your attitute as well. Your attitute can determine whether you are a professional fighter or just an amateur, and it is critical in a real fight. It's like preparing someone for the war where you get them through psychological stress as well as physical one before sending them off to Vietnam, or whatever. You have to be mentally prepared. that's the difference between Thai fighting style and other style.

Last edited by Titus Pullo; 11th August 2006 at 04:40 AM.
Titus Pullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2006, 06:12 PM   #3
RhysMichael

Welcome, as Titus said the thai and burmese used double swords, It is called Daab song muu
http://dharesearch.bowditch.us/Images/Image435.jpg

They are also used in WMA many of the Italian manuals from the 1500s cover using two identical swords: Manciolino (1531), Marozzo (1536), Agrippa (1553), di Grassi (1570) One example would be as inas in a "brace of rapiers" or "case of rapiers". Another would be references to Case of Falchions.
http://storm.alert.sk/fencing/hutton/case.html
http://www.musketeer.org/manuals/diGrassi/contents.htm

They are used in chinese sword arts with Jian, Dao, hook swords, butterly swords and probably many others I know nothing of. ( Scott Rondell or Phillip Tom would be an excellent source for more on this ). Minamoto Musashi used and taught the use of dual japanese swords. Dual blades are used in Philippine Martial arts ( doble espada and espada y daga techniques),espada techniques can clearly be seen in the double stick (doble baston or doble olisi) techniques these styles teach. Check manuals on Escrima, Kali or Pananadata.

They are used in Pencak Silat. I have seen reference to them in Korean sword work. And I believe they were used with some indian and arabian or persian sword styles ( but I could be wrong on this one ). there is some evidence that double swords were used in Aceh but I have yet to find as much as I would like on that.

So while it was probably not a common battlefield technique . Sword and some form of shield probably dominated there. It was not uncommon. I hope this helps.

Last edited by RhysMichael; 11th August 2006 at 06:30 PM.
RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2006, 08:42 PM   #4
mross

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysMichael

Dual blades are used in Philippine Martial arts ( doble espada and espada y daga techniques),espada techniques can clearly be seen in the double stick (doble baston or doble olisi) techniques these styles teach. Check manuals on Escrima, Kali or Pananadata.
If you want a good video on the Philippine Marts check out anything by Prof. Remy Presas. It's painful enough with sticks, I imagine with swords it would be over before you had a chance to feel any pain.
mross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2006, 11:24 PM   #5
pogoman

Thank you very much all of you - I'd looked for information like this for quite a while and I was quite stumped!
pogoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2006, 12:30 AM   #6
Mark

Question

Am I crazy, or did someone once post about dual-wielding pata (gauntlet swords)? I have this mental image of someone windmilling through a battlefield like a lawn mower.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2006, 02:47 AM   #7
RobT

Default Ni Ten

Hi All,
There is also Myamoto Musashi (aka Ni Ten or two heavens) who developed a fighting style that used the katana and wakizashi simultaneously.
Sincerely,
RobT
RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2006, 12:22 PM   #8
S.Al-Anizi

There is also a description of arab/turkish furusiyya, a page from the 14th century manual describes dual sword cuts from horseback:

http://www.fioredeiliberi.org/galler...mlukBsmall.jpg
S.Al-Anizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2006, 03:00 PM   #9
RhysMichael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Bowditch
Am I crazy, or did someone once post about dual-wielding pata (gauntlet swords)? I have this mental image of someone windmilling through a battlefield like a lawn mower.
Sinawali done with pata. Now that would be worth seeing

I have since found out the names of a couple of the Japanese styles that use 2 swords

Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu and Yagyu Shinkage Ryu

S.Al-Anizi thanks for that link

Last edited by RhysMichael; 12th August 2006 at 03:21 PM.
RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote