Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Classifieds > Swap Forum

Old 13th November 2013, 08:05 PM   #1
T. Koch

Default A Fistful of Mandau + a couple other Indo.

Hi guys,

I recently attended an antique arms fair, for the first time having my own table. This sale is mainly some affordable pieces that I picked up before the fair to fill out some empty table-space, as well as some mandaus I'm letting go from my own collection. For those interested I also have a couple of keris over in the other sale forum.

The descriptions as well as prices are based on my current level of knowledge, so if my information is inaccurate or my prices on the moon, please let me know. Additional pictures is available for those seriously interested. I take PP and intl. bank transfers and I ship anywhere in the world, provided that the recipient promises to abide by local laws. Listening to offers, but unfortunately I can't take trades this time.

Mandau #1:
Iban, around 1950. Large and heavy quality work blade, with brass plugs and the crosshatching at the spine seems to indicate that it was forged from a (large) file. Figural wood hilt with brass wire wrap and human hair. Scabbard of non-traditional form. 75 cm overall length. EUR 250,-

Mandau #2
Modang, late 19th cent. Upriver Mahakam blade with brass plugs, mata kelong inlays and traditional curls along the spine. Old antler hilt with a very smooth feel and nice glossy patina. Figural main motive with an Aso on each side. A wooden peg is inserted into the top of the nipple and the hair plugs are long gone. The thin rattan wrap has almost become mat-like from handling over time. Scabbard with traditional whirlpool-knots of two-colored rattan. This piece has two repairs: one by me, replacing the dammar ring and one native: The panel on the front of the scabbard at the point of belt attachment seems to have broken off. A large wheel-like rattan knot has then been tied in it's place and a sliver of the same wood as the scabbard pushed under the knot to keep it tight. The patina of the repair is clearly old and consistent with that of the piece overall. 63 cm total length. Acquired from an antique dealer in the Netherlands. EUR 400,-

Mandau #3
This one is unusual to me and the only other one I've seen of this style is in Hornbill & Dragon where a similar hilt is described as being Melawi. The carving shows unusual perpendicular lines and the “leeches” look more like croissants. The blade, although seemingly simple, is of an exceptional quality and in spite of a total length of 72,5 cm, the balance is nothing short of extraordinary. Almost quadratic in cross-section at the ricasso, the blade flares out and slims down drastically, making for a very lively blade in hand. Awesome forge-work and definitely a weapon made for war. The hilt is carved from antler, with a rough rattan wrap, has a deer hair plug and the dammar ring is missing. The scabbard is carved from dark wood of an interesting rippled texture and is set with the traditional whirlpool knots. From an old Danish collection. EUR 400,-

Mandau #4
Iban mandau, late 19th cent. Blade with a slight curvature and of rather simple manufacture. The edge has seen some action in it's life with several small dings and a couple of what seems to be edge-on-edge dents. The hilt is carved from a large piece of antler in the classic figural style of the Iban, depicting war god Singalang Burong with a frightening face, tongue out and all. The carvings are nice and deep, particularly the spirals and Aso's on the sides, although this comes out poorly in the photographs. Brass wire wrap, colored goat hair plugs and a dammar ring replaced by me. The scabbard is likewise well carved with finely woven rattan bands. The original bark pocket for the pisau is still there, as well as a rattan belt and a small piece of yellow felt at the point of attachment. From an old Swedish collection. EUR 500,-

Wedung
Java, I think a rather old blade in newer fittings. The blade is very dark, however etching might reveal some pattern. Integral ferrule and traditional blade shape with what looks to be a couple of lines and a five pointed star stamped near the tip on one side. Wood scabbard and hilt with bone ring. Long belt clip elegantly carved from a single piece of buffalo horn. 32,5 cm overall length. EUR 150,-

Golok
Java, probably early 20th century. Simple blade with a Tjikeroh-style eagle hilt carved from buffalo horn. Wood scabbard with nicely patinated brass rings and an elegant horn throat. 46 cm overall length. EUR 100,-

**more pictures to come in the below after mod approval**
Attached Images

T. Koch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 08:08 PM   #2
T. Koch

The rest of the pictures. Contact via mail or pm.

Thanks everybody, - Thor
Attached Images

Old 28th January 2014, 08:14 PM   #3
T. Koch

Ok, mandau #2, #3 and #4 are gone - thank you guys, you have all been an absolute pleasure to deal with!

I can't lower the price on the Wedung guys, the price on that one is crazy as it is! This is a seriously killer deal: integral ferrule, bone ring and completely intact buffalo horn clip for EUR 150,-
- you should at the very least bug me to take some more pictures to convince you (no my camera sucks to use, so please just believe me, you'll love it )

Mandau #1 is now dropped to EUR 200,-

Golok is dropped to EUR 75,-

Cheers, - Thor
Old 28th March 2014, 06:58 AM   #4
T. Koch

Mandau #1 and Golok gone too.

Wedung still up for EUR 150,-