my new keris.
your opinion !!
galvano
Attached Images

galvano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2007, 01:50 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Hi Galvano. This thread belongs in the keris forum. I will see that it is moved there for further discussion.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2007, 04:59 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

It looks like an old keris sajen, but the carved features at the base of the blade do not look quite like any i have seen before. Could you post a photo of the entire keris and a clearer and perhaps closer image of the gandik? Does the close-up show an indentation in the blade. Perhaps this keris is also pejetan, though that usual involves more than one indentation.
Judging age on these keris is always difficult. They are sometimes mistakenly referred to as keris majapahit, though most of the ones you see are rarely from the mojopahit period. They are talismanic offering keris and are still made today. Often the new ones are aged and sold as old, but yours appears to have some real age.
Here is a link to other talismanic keris posted on Alan Maisey's website.
http://www.kerisattosanaji.com/kerissajen.html
Old 1st April 2007, 07:07 PM   #4
galvano

Default other

other photos
Attached Images

Old 1st April 2007, 09:07 PM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Arrow

My impression is that this is new stuff.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2007, 11:28 PM   #6
David
Keris forum moderator

I would agree Rick, now that i've seen an overall look at the keris. It's funny how you can get one impression looking very closely at things and another once you've stepped back. It is still very interesting. I like the little naga gonjo iras.
I would say the the 4 impressions on the blade are not what would be called pejetan as i don't believe these were done with the finger tips of the smith as pejetan would be. Did it come with a sheath?
Old 2nd April 2007, 04:30 AM   #7
lelang69

dear Galvano an list

Yes I agree with other list. This is keris sajen but unfortunatly this keris is too nice to be a Real keris sajen . the sajen means (offer). this keris popular as the ceremonial offer in Majapahit era 13th -14th centuries. This kind of keris mostly escavated near Mojokerto, east java

Most of keris sajen has no pamor, gonjo the form is hardly simple.

anyway this is nice keris. isn't it David?
lelang69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2007, 07:30 PM   #8
galvano

Default scabbard

yes david but the scabbard is very very new !!
galvano
Old 3rd April 2007, 01:59 PM   #9
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelang69
anyway this is nice keris. isn't it David?
For the moment i will stick with "interesting".
Lelang, i think you will find that the use of the keris sajen as a talismanic object extends past the Mojopahit period as there are examples to be found through every century after to date, Though recent ones like Galvano's are obviously aimed at the collector market this probably wasn't the case with 16th or 17th century examples.
Galvano, i think many people look at keis as an ensemble. You may have noticed that when keris are posted on websites there is often a pic of the keris fully sheathed along with the others. This overall appearence of the sheathed blade is an important part of assessing the keris, so please don't disregard your sheath simply because it is new.
Old 3rd April 2007, 06:12 PM   #10
galvano

Default new scabbard

I thank you for your answers.
This forum is fantastic.
All the people of this forum are brilliant.
Always ready to bring its assistance.
Thank you with all.
Attached Images

Old 3rd April 2007, 07:07 PM   #11
David
Keris forum moderator

Ah, well "brilliant" is a very relative term. Next to a candle one might seem brillant, but in broad daylight...
I offer what i know...and sometimes what i only think i know. We are all learning here and hopefully sharing what we know is what we all do, even if it is not always right.
Your wrongko is really quite nice, i think. Beautiful wood in a Sandang Walikat form. This is a form usually meant for storing, though i believe it is also acceptable in some cases for daily wear and i have seen a few more extravagant example which were no doubt meant for wearing. All my talismanic keris use this sheath form, which i suppose makes sense since they are not made to be worn like regular keris are. If i am not mistaken you will find that this sheath, though appearing simple in form, is probably carved from a single piece a wood, which is no easy feat. Thanks for showing it.