Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th June 2006, 09:07 PM   #31
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
Well I am baffled, they are far from rare, have no scabbards, okay one has a nice ivory pommel nothing rare about that and the other one is damaged, or am I blind to something.
Well, Tim, actually, the ivory one is more rare than you think, especially if it has a full pommel with nothing missing. As for the other, yeah, I agree, not big deal.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 12:31 AM   #32
Pangeran Datu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Well, Tim, actually, the ivory one is more rare than you think, especially if it has a full pommel with nothing missing. As for the other, yeah, I agree, not big deal.
I have seen three for sale in the past month, one with only minor chips. Perhaps it is the coincidence of the cosmic forces.

BTW... what I HAVEN'T seen for sale is a kris with a WOODEN, not-so-stylised, kakatua pommel still showing its head, crest and tail plumage. Perhaps someone reading this will oblige me and put one up for sale.

Regards.
Pangeran Datu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 12:54 AM   #33
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Something like this perhaps ?
Twisted core with applied laminated edge ?
Not quite yet ........
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 12:39 PM   #34
Spunjer

pangeran datu,

three junggayans? technically yes, there were three. but if you're referring to the big elaborate ones, actually there were only two; the one on live ebay, and the recent one. the one that naga basuki won (if that's what you're referring to) is actually a different type of kakatua pommel; yes, it's junggayan but it's smaller variation, which is relatively more common, while the one that's on the beginning of this thread and the latest one are much larger, i would estimate them to be around 6 inches long (around 8 inches unbroken) and prolly at the widest, about three inches. the other time i saw a similar kakaktua was the one that punal posted a year ago, but it was made out of carabao horn. back to what bill just won, i would say the pommel is more similar to this:

edited for spelling...
Attached Images

Last edited by Spunjer; 9th June 2006 at 03:14 PM.
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 12:42 PM   #35
Spunjer

... so i concur with Battara stating that, yeah, the bigger ones are rarer than you think. i would bet that you won't see another one of those big ivory junggayans on ebay for awhile.
Old 1st November 2006, 12:00 PM   #36
Spunjer

Thumbs up

ok, CPR on this dead thread. found this two websites

http://www.ivoryrepair.com/

http://www.scrimshawstudio.com/restorations.html
Old 1st November 2006, 06:03 PM   #37
joshualayne

Default on 'restoration'

funny, I was actually thinking about restoration yesterday, while looking at japanese swords (and seeing so many either being sold as bare blades or with very poor fittings (or WW2 fittings, which I have no interest in)).

There are companies that will remake saya, rebuild handles, even reform habaki to your blade.

On top of that, as the japanese sword aesthetic is a bit different than others (it seems), if you were to get a sword to full polish, you could never put it back in its old saya for fear of scratching the blade. You'd either have to keep it in shirasaya or have a new saya made.

Begs the question on what we're really collecting Personally, I want to find a sword that is 'good enough' without restoration, not just to avoid the cost, but because I really don't want to be looking at something that looks brand new - a little patina is nice.

my nickel.

j.
joshualayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2006, 08:52 PM   #38
Battara
EAAF Staff

Thanks for the links. Very helpful. BTW - I don't do scrimshaw.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2006, 11:53 AM   #39
Spunjer

you're welcome, jose! here's another site that has helpful hints on taking care of ivory.

http://www.ivorybuyer.com/sales/workingtips.htm